Chapter 11

Alex sat in her car, parked in the neighborhood she stayed in with her mom a long time ago.

There were several people walking on each side of the sidewalks. She felt nervous for some reason, but she wasn't afraid of the environment she was in. One thing she made sure of is that she'd never forget where she'd come from.

She saw the corner store she used to walk to with a few childhood friends. She remembered the time when she was leaving the store and she and her two friends saw her mother giving a man head on the side of the store. She was almost eleven and she was embarrassed.

Looking passed the corner store, her eyes scanned further down the road in front of a reddish, brown, brick house. A man by the name of Roy, lived there. She wasn't sure if he'd still lived there and wasn't too interested to find out. Roy was once good friends with her mother. When Alex would stay with her mom, sometimes they would stay at Roy's house whenever her mother's long-time boyfriend would out them out of his house.

Alex didn't realize it until she got older, but Roy would have her mother have sex with him in order for them to stay with him. Sometimes when Roy didn't want Alex around, he'll complain to her mother and she'll put Alex out, causing her to walk to her grandparent's house which was a seven mile walk. The last time she made that walk, her grandmother called Roy's house, cursing him and her mother out and she rarely ever saw her mother after that.

She shook off the memories once she heard someone blow their horn. They were blowing at a woman who was carelessly walking across the street. Alex realized it was her mom. She started her car and pulled up by her mom as she walked the sidewalk.

"Wanda?" She called out to her after show let the passenger window down.

"Alex!" Wanda shouted with excitement.

Alex intentionally went to the neighborhood to look for her mom, little did she think she'd run into her.

She couldn't even smile at her, because she wasn't a bit of excited to see her mom. "Can you get in the car?" Alex requested, unlocking the doors.

"Where we goin?" Wanda asked, opening the door and settling in the car

"I just want to spend some time with you." Alex took a look at what she was wearing. A pair or dirty grey sweatpants and an even dirtier t-shirt. Her shoes were worn out, but fitted on her feet. They were an old pair of sneakers. Her hair was still as beautiful as ever, pulled back into a messy ponytail. "Where do you live?"

"We not going to my house." Wanda responded. "I don't need to be there."

"Did you want to get something to eat?" She asked.

"No." She shook her head. "I have something to do." She would it sit back. She seemed alerted and eager to do something.

"I was really hoping to talk to you." Alex said.

"Take me around the block." Wanda ordered.

Alex slightly frowned at Wanda and put her vehicle in drive, driving straight down the street until Wanda gave her more directions.

"You're gonna turn on this next corner." She pointed her finger to the right before Alex could get to the block.

Realizing that Wanda's mind wasn't on her, Alex simply gave up trying to talk to her. She made the right turn at the corner just like Wanda instructed and drove about half of a mile.

Wanda looked in the backseat. "Where's the girl?" She asked.

"What girl?" Alex asked.

"The girl who was in the car with you the other day! Is she your daughter? She was gorgeous, just my sweet baby." Wanda cupped Alex's chin. Alex slowly moved her face away.