Chapter 51

"I had such a wonderful time this weekend with you all." Alex hugged her brother. "Please keep in touch. I don't want us to miss any more time than we've already have."

"I promise, I will, sis." James Jr. promised. "I'll call, text, tweet, Facebook, whatever is necessary, you name it, I'm gonna do it."

After hugging her brother, Alex was facing her father. He opened his arms and the image appeared to be a typical moment of a father loving his daughter.

"I'm so glad you came out to see us. Next visit is on us." He said to her. "But we'll come out there next."

As he spoke, she held on to him tightly. Aside of meeting Drew and becoming his wife, there was not other moment in her life that can top this.

"I want you to know that I love you. I always have and I always will." He continued to speak.

She didn't want to let go. This man was the missing piece of puzzle in her life and she couldn't let it go.

"Sweetheart," He said.

She didn't respond, she only held him.

"This won't be our last moment together." He promised. "This is only our beginning."

"I love you too, daddy." She finally spoke. Being able to call a man daddy, warms her heart. He was something that she'd long for and finally gotten.

He pulled away from her.

"How about a picture of you two?" Drew suggested.

"Another one?" Joy frowned. "We've been taking pictures all weekend." She complained.

"Well this one won't include you." Alex handed her cell phone to Drew. "Come on, daddy." She stood side by side with her dad. "Come on James." She instructed and Jame stood on the other side of her.

Drew took the pictures and they all shared a last hug.

"Alright, if we hug again or anything, y'all gonna miss your flight." James Jr. jokes.

"It'll be worth it." Alex laughed.

They said a final goodbye and and were on their way.

Back at home, Alex, Drew, and Joy were settled at home. Drew got a phone call but he missed it. When he saw it, there was a voicemail. It was from the adoption agency.

He sat in his chair in the living room and listened to the voicemail. Alex walked in and saw him with the phone to his ear, so she didn't say anything.

After listening to the voicemail, he slowly removed the phone from his ear.

"Who was that?" Alex asked, noticing his body language.

"The adoption agency." He said.

"What did they say?" She asked.

"We won't be getting the baby." He said. "They found a more suited couple.

She inhaled, but couldn't release is.

"Baby, I'm so sorry." He shook his head. "Maybe we can try for another baby there." He added.

"No..." she shook her head. With tears in her eyes she finally exhaled. "It's okay. Apparently, we're not not meant to share a child. Or I'm not meant to have one. I don't know."

"That's crazy talk, Alex. I've told you before that you're a great mom."

She didn't say anything.

"This is not the end of it." He assured.

"Seems like it. I can't have the baby that I want and I guess it's time for me to accept it. It's okay. I have you, I have Joy and Zach, and I also have my dad and brother. I guess that enough family for me." She stood up and left the living room with her head lowered.