Chapter 44

"I don't know why I even came back here with you!" LaTrice yelled. "My life has been worse being with you than being with Drew."

"Since you feel that way, how about you go back to him then!" Brent fussed back at her.

"Trust me, I would if he wasn't married." LaTrice said.

"Don't fuckin play with me, Trice!" He said with anger.

"I'm not playing. You going back and forth to Kendra house all the damn time, there's no telling what you doing there."

"Handling family business, that's what I do there. I'm sorry if you and Drew can't even civilized human beings like me and Kendra."

"Whatever! Y'all ain't shit! I'm done for good this time."

"What are you so worked up for?" He questioned her. "If you leave, where the hell are you gonna go? You don't have any other place to live but here. I've been trying to make this work with you for years but you always wanna up and run every time we argue about something. Why you think I didn't ask yo ass to marry me yet?"

"Excuse me?"

He took a deep breath, and then exhaled. "I've been hoping for years that you would change. When we got together, you always seemed angry about something. I wanted you to come out and say it but you wouldn't. I know it's about Drew. That man cheated on you so much that it's all you think I'm doing with Kendra, but that's not the case. I love you, and when we got together I was happy that I finally had the love of my life, but you're still holding on to him and I know you are."

"That's not true." She responded. "I'm not holding on to him, I just don't want to end up in the same situation I was in with him."

"You never even gave me a chance to be a good man to you because you think I'm him. I'm spending too much time trying to make something work with you. Either you want to do this or you don't!"

"I want to do this." She said in a tone that she believed was sincere. "There's just so much going on right now."

"So you don't want to do this?" He questioned.

"No, I do."

"Listen, this whole money thing, I'm gonna get to the bottom of it."

"What if this situation was vice versa? If my daughter stole some money from you? Or anyone else's child? I bet you would want something done about it real quick."

He sighed. "You're right, it's just something that's not right about this. I feel like there's something she's not telling me."

"Of course there is! She wasn't gonna tell you she took that money! So, since you weren't gonna do anything about it, I did."

"You didn't give me time. Can you just drop the charges please, and I'll get your money back?" He promised.

"How? How are you gonna get that money back?" She asked.

"Trice, just drop the charges. For me, at least. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this." He assured.

She sat silent. "I'll think about it. I don't want to just let her off but since she is your daughter, I'll think about it."

....

"Kayla! Get ya ass back here!" Her boyfriend grabbed her by her hair, pulling her with all force.

"Greg, please believe me." She cried. "I wasn't messing with anybody!"

"Why the hell you didn't come back here the other night then? Because you getting arrested sounds like some bullshit to me. You must think I'm stupid." He yelled.

"I tried to call you," she continued to cry, "but you didn't answer. I called my parent and they got me and took me to my mom's house. I promise, I'm not doing anything behind your back."

"I told you that I needed that money by the end of that day and you fuckin disappeared!" He slapped her face again. "Now I'm shit out of luck and gotta wait until tonight."

"Tonight?" She questioned.

"Yea, you're doing this tonight." He assured. "Ain't no way we're gonna miss out on some more money."

"You promised that I wouldn't have to do that again."

"If you got me all the money, but since you didn't, you're doing it tonight."

"Please don't make me do it. I can get you your money."

"How? Because of you could have, you would have been did it and I wouldn't be beatin ya ass about all of this shit."

"Just don't make me do it again." She begged and she managed to lift herself on her knees.

"You're doing this and I'm not telling you again." He said with anger before walking away.

Kayla stayed on the floor crying for a moment. She loved her boyfriend to death but hated his lifestyle once she'd found out what he was about but she refuses to leave him.

She wasn't able to give him all the money he needed because of her arrest but she knew that he needed it. When she agreed to be a part of his life she made a promise to him that she'll always make sure he's good.

Tonight will be another night where she would have to make up to him and show him that she's down for him. It disgusts her to sleep with another man but since her boyfriend needs her more than ever, she's willing to make that sacrifice.

It was over at 10:53pm. Kayla didn't dare look at this stranger because she knew that he was looking at her as if he were preying upon her.

"You sure you don't want any more?" He asked with a disgusting grin.

"My time is up." She put on her clothes. As she left the man's hotel room, she called her boyfriend. There was no answer. He was supposed to be picking her up from the hotel, but he was nowhere around nor was he answering.

She had no choice but to walk home from where she was.

Walking got Kayla thinking that if she's really okay with how she's living. She grew up in a two parent home, watching her parents love each other for so long but see it stopped and it broke her. As a kid, she didn't know who's fault it was but she just thought the love wasn't strong enough for them to stay together, si she promised herself that she would love someone much harder than her parents loved each other.

Walking home at almost midnight, had her thinking if her love for him was worth it. Greg never showed her as much love that she showed him, but she'd hoped that one day he'll see. It's been four years and he still hadn't shown her anything.

Her love for him was too dangerous for her and she needed to get away.