Chapter 8

"This lil girl has one more time to ignore my call." LaTrice said with frustration as she slammed her cel phone down on the empty spot on the sofa next to her.

"She still didn't answer?" Brent asked.

"No. She keeps sending me to voicemail."

"Don't worry about it then. Brice and come with us. We could have a family day out." He said.

"But we could use some quality time. You're going to be going back soon..." her voice trailed off, "to her."

"Sweetheart, don't worry about that." He said. "We can enjoy all of our time together while I'm here. I'll come back. You know that I always do come back."

"I'm just saying. You and I can spend one last night together, alone," her fingers trailed up his arm as she leaned on him, "then tomorrow, we can go out and take Brice somewhere."

"Or we can spend both days together as a family?" He suggested.

She sighed, "okay."

"What's gotten into you?" He asked, sitting up, looking at her, causing her to sit up as well.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Every time I come here, you're always trying to get rid of Brice. I understand that you want to spend some time with me but I want to spend time with my son. I want him to see how a family should be."

"He doesn't get to see that because you're playing house with a woman that you're married to and don't even love." She commented.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that." He said.

"If you're not telling me that you're leaving her, then I don't want to know about it." She said.

"Kendra and I are going to get a divorce." He said. "It's just not working with us."

"That causes for a celebration." She flashed a quick smile at him.

"I want to move here and make something work with you. I'm sorry it took me this long to come around, but the last several years with her wasn't so pleasant." He admitted.

Suddenly his phone rang. He picked it up from the coffee table and saw that it was Kendra calling. "Let me take this." He stood up and walked outside to the front porch.

LaTrice hated how private he made his conversations with Kendra, but she couldn't be upset.

Brice came down stairs and saw his mom sitting on the sofa.

"Mama," he sat on the large chair by the sofa. "where's daddy?" he asked.

"He's outside, talking on the phone." She answered. "Did you call your sister?" She asked.

"I facetimed her with my iPad." He answered.

"When?" She asked.

"Before I came down here. Well, I was playing my game, then I called her on FaceTime, and then I was playing my game again." He responded.

Before she could say something they heard Brent yelling on the phone.

"It doesn't matter! Nothing is working so there's no point in me staying!"

"Who is daddy yelling at?" Brice frowned.

LaTrice looked at her confused child, "No one sweetie. Go back to your room so that mommy and daddy can finish talking when he gets back in here." She said.