Chapter 24

Drew walked into his house, taking a deep breath.

"Babe?" He heard his wife's voice but wasn't sure where it came from.

"It's me. Where are you?" He asked.

She appeared from around the corner of the hallway. "Where were you?"

"It doesn't matter, babe. Just know that I'm back where I need to be. I need to lay down." His back was in pain.

"Okay." She grabbed his hand and lead him to their bedroom. "Joy is in her bedroom, still. She had me caught up in her teenage drama about some girl at school." She giggled. "I was worried about you, but I didn't want to worry too much."

Getting to their bedroom, he sat on the bed and she grabbed their tv remote.

"I'm sorry for overreacting. I just hate when that woman tries to get in our way. I mean I knew it was like that before we get t married, but I'd hoped that by now, we'd be at common grounds with her."

"No, I'm the one that's sorry." He stretched out on the bed, resting his head on the pillows. "What happened today shouldn't have happened and I'm sorry. I can promise you one thing, I will never let her get in the way of us. You're my wife and I love you."

"I love you too."

Once shed laid down, putting her head on his chest, the doorbell rang.

"Damn, a man can't even relax with his wife. Who would ring our doorbell this late at night." He got up.

"I'm coming with you." She followed him out the bedroom all the way to the front door.

When he opened the door, his eyes met the faces of two police officers. He looked at Alex with confusion. "You called the cops, babe?"

Alex was just as confused as Drew. "No."

"Is there a problem officers?" He asked.

"We're looking for Drew Robinson."

"That'll be me. What's going on?" He asked.

"Mr. Robinson, you're under arrest," one officer stepped forward and grabbed Drew's arm," for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon."

"What? Assault?" Alex was now worried.

"What the hell?" Drew exclaimed. "Fuck, man." He mumbled. "Baby call my brother." He said a second before the officer began to read him his Miranda rights.

After one officer handcuffed him, they both escorted him to the backseat of there car. Alex followed them out to the front yard. "There has to be a mistake!" She yelled at the officers.

Drew said nothing the entire time. He saw nothing but worry in her eyes and felt terrible. He kept his eyes on her for as far as he could see her as they drove away from his house.

With her heart pacing and her hands shaking, Alex called her brother-in-law.

"Hey, Derrick, I'm really sorry to call you so late." She said, breathing heavily.

"It's okay, sis. What's going on?" He asked. "Everything okay?"

"No," she took deep breath, "Drew has been arrested."

"What?"

She could tell that the news caught him by surprise.

"For what?"

"The officers said aggravated assault. I don't know what's going on."

"Okay, just relax."

"Why were the police just here?" Joy came from nowhere asking.