Chapter 42

Alex found herself outside the same house she dropped her mother off at times before. She'd been out there for about fifteen minutes and finally decided to walk to the front door.

"Alex?" She heard the voice of an old woman. "Girl, you're look the same just all grown up. Look at you." The woman smiled.

"Do I know you?" Alex asked.

"It's me! Auntie Cat!" She stepped closer.

"Auntie Cat?" Alex's heart dropped. "You look different! I thought you moved away?"

"I did. I had to change up. I've been here for a couple of days."

"What brings you to town?"

Auntie Cat glanced at the house and the back to Alex. "How about we go somewhere and talk? I know you don't want to be here." She pointed to the house.

"Sure," Alex agreed.

"How about we go to that seafood joint you used to like as a little girl? You still like that place?" Auntie Cat asked.

Alex knew exactly the place she was speaking of. "Yes! I still love that place. I haven't been in a while though."

"Lets go then. My treat."

The place was just outside the neighborhood. Alex and her aunt were at a table having a chat.

"We're going to see Wanda?" Auntie Cat asked.

"Pretty much. I wasn't too sure thats why I was sitting in the car for so long." Alex answered.

"I thought you would either leave her alone by now."

"I can't." Alex said. "No matter how many times I say I'm done with her, I cannot just walk away from her."

"Because you're still in the mindset that you had when you were growing up. You wanted her love. You wanted her to be a mother. I know that's what you wanted."

"It is." Alex agreed as she nodded her head.

"I looked for the same thing as her younger sister. But she'd done me wrong one too many times and I got to the point to where I had enough. I had to let her go. I still love her because she is my big sister and she's done plenty for me, but I had to let her go because of what she was doing."

Alex sighed. "I feel like she's a burden that I'm not allowed to let go. She's my mother."

"No," auntie Cat shook her head, "she was just your mom. She birthed you and didn't care for you. Our mama and daddy did that. Sometimes me, whenever I was around. Story acting like you owe her something because you don't. My mama was your mother. Wanda was barely around for you to call her mama, so make it like you need to call her that now."

Alex was a little surprised to hear her aunt say these things about her own sister but she was right. Alex didn't owe Wanda anything.

"Cat? And my baby?"

They heard a familiar voice causing them to look by the door when they heard. It was Wanda.