Chapter 22

"I just don't know how to deal with this, Ma." Drew said as he'd just finish having lunch with Shirley at her house.  "That daughter of yours is a much of a handful as mine." He said.

"Tell me about it." Shirley rolled her eyes. "She hasn't let you go yet and I've been telling her over and over again that it's time that she let you go. You're in love and she's confused."

"I try to talk to her, but every time, she wants to flirt and do all this extra stuff. I'm not that man anymore. I'm not her man anymore and I need her to understand that. Alex and I try to be civilized with her, but she makes it so hard for us."

"I don't want to be the one to tell you what to do." She said.

"I know, and I don't expect you to. I want us to figure this all out on our own. You know? Be adults about the situation."

"Ill try to talk to her when I get a chance." She said. "She called me talking about she was gonna have Alex arrested for hitting her. I told her that she had no business stepping to that woman in her house like that." Shirley explained. 

"Alex felt terrible about that." Drew said in Alex's defense. "All she was worried about was the fact that Joy witnessed it and she felt that Joy was upset with her."

"See, I like her. I love how concerned she is about Joy. I just don't get why Trice isn't like that anymore."

"Makes me wonder all the time. There was a time where she always had Joy on her hip, but ever since we split, she basically let her daughter go."

Shirley shook her head. "She's still in love with you and she didn't realize that you don't feel the same way about her."

"I just wish it was easy for her to understand."

"She understands, she just doesn't want to understand."

He glanced at his watch. "Man, time is flying." He said  "I hate to leave you so soon, ma, but I need to get back to work, and I still have to take this food to Alex to her job. Did I tell you that she's working at Zach's school now?" 

"Oh really?" Shirley asked as she stood up after Drew for up.

"Yea, she teaches art there. I must say, she has a real talent and a passion." He said. "Let me hurry and get out of here." He headed for the door and she followed him. He opened the door and turned to her giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Love you mama." 

"Love you too baby." She said in response. He was really like the son she never had.

"Lock the door." He walked out and headed to his car.

"I know what to do, boy, hush!" She chuckled and closed the door once she saw him get inside his car.

LaTrice was driving close to her mother's house when she saw Drew's car pull out the driveway. Instead of going into the driveway, she followed Drew. She followed him close enough for her to keep up with him, but not for him to notice her behind him. He stopped by Alex's job and then went to the office. She waited about ten minutes after he got to his office before going in.

"Hey, Mary." She spoke to the receptionist at the front desk. 

"Hey, Ms. Robinson." Mary responded. 

LaTrice smiled at hearing herself being called Ms. Robinson. It reminded her of who she was before and who she still is. 

"I came to see Drew. It's pretty urgent. It's our daughter." LaTrice tried to sound sad to get through to Mary.

"Awe, poor Joy. I hope she's alright." Mary said sympathetically. "Go on and go in. I'll let him know that you're here." She said.

"No, no. I don't want him to expect this." LaTrice said with her voice low. "Thank you,." LaTrice began to walk down the hallway to Drew's office. It had been a while since she's been there and things looked a bit different.