Chapter 52

"They found Greg." Brent said, sitting at the dining room table.

"I hope he rots in jail." Kendra commented. "Putting his hands on my baby." She was cooking and she slammed the wooden spoon on the stove.

"Just relax." He kindly instructed. "We're gonna get to the bottom of this." He sighed. He had to remain calm in front of Kendra and his kids, but he was livid on the inside. Brent wished he could've caught Greg himself and wring his neck.

"Relax? Brent, our daughter was being abused for God knows how long. How can I relax?" He leaned on the counter.

"I'm just saying, she's going through something really hard for her and we have to be strong for her. We're both angry and have a thousand questions, but we have to set that aside to make sure Kayla will be okay."

Suddenly, Kayla walks in the kitchen and they became silent.

"Hey, sweetie," Kendra smiled.

"Come sit next to me." He patted the empty seat next to him.

Kayla hesitated at first but she went and sat down next to her father.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I'm okay." She answered softly. She glanced at both of her parents and sighed.

"Sweetie, we want you to know that you can talk to us. The more we know, the easier we can help you get through this." Kendra spoke, pouring a glass of water and sitting it in front of Kayla.

Kayla released another breath and looked to her father. "Daddy...." she spoke and Brent have her his undivided attention. "When I went to Louisiana to find you, I ran into this lady."

Kendra was just as tuned in as Brent.

"A little old lady," she continued. "I was in the parking lot of a store by your house. She must have heard my conversation on the while I was on the phone. She asked me if I knew LaTrice and I told her yes and then she gave me her wallet and left."

Both, Brent and Kendra stared at their daughter with confusion.

"I know that sounds crazy but it happened. I guess I was supposed to return her wallet or something. Like, how on earth did she know we knew the same LaTrice but it made it easier for me to find her."

"That's how you found me?" Brent asked.

Kayla nodded. "I was willing to return her wallet, until I got to the house and saw her. She seemed to be nice but just knowing that she's the reason you guys split up, hurt me all over again."

"Kayla..." Kendra spoke

Kayla shook her head. "I couldn't just let her be okay and happy with daddy when she took him away from us." She said to her mom.

"Sweetheart," Brent spoke, "I know I left you guys, but that was a bad decision that I made." Brent said.

"It's still the fact of the matter." Kayla responded. "After seeing her, I didn't want to give her wallet back. I wanted her to go through whatever trouble she could go through to make up for the pain she caused my mother, me, and my siblings."

Brent had already felt bad for the pain he caused his family, but to hear it all over again from his daughter, brought back the guilt he felt.

"When I got back here, I told Greg how I got her wallet and he managed to encourage me to take all she had. We managed to check her accounts and anything she had in her wallet and we managed to take everything. I didn't think she would have much but she had hundreds of thousands of dollars."

"That was the money for her house." He mentioned.

Kayla's eyes grew wide.

"She has just sold her house just to move here." He added.

"Daddy, I'm really sorry. I wish I could give her that money back but Greg has it. I hate that she's about to go through some trouble."

"Listen, don't worry about that. I just want to know if you're okay. How are you doing? She's something that I will have to deal with but right now, my concern is you." Brent explained.

"But I just wanted my daddy here. I wanted you home with mama, and BJ, Kali, and Brayden."

"Sweetheart, your father and I being together was a decision that he and I made together." Kendra stated, although it wasn't exactly the truth. After Kendra found out about LaTrice, she couldn't find it in her heart to forgive Brent, but Brent made the decision to leave. She didn't want to tell Kayla that because she doesn't need to know.

"I'm here now sweetie," Brent grabbed her hand. "Whether or not I'm actually here, I'm always gonna be there for you. You're my daughter."

"It just hasn't been the same without you here. That's why I left home and did t want to come back."

"You'd rather stay somewhere where you're treated like crap instead? You're better than that, Kayla." Kendra added.

I know, mama. I'd spend so much time with him hoping that one day he'll change and we could be ideal but that was crazy."

"Well, in case you hadn't heard, Greg has been arrested." Brent shared. "I'm going to do all that I can to make sure he stays locked up."

Kayla didn't respond. Instead she just sighed.

"You're home and you're safe here, so you have nothing to worry about." Brent promised.

"Daddy, I'm really sorry and could you tell Ms. Trice that I'm sorry. I'm willing to work to pay her back that money."

"No!" Kendra rebuked. "You won't do that. You don't even have her money, that boy does."

Brent knew that Trice wasn't going to get her money back from Greg, so that was something he was going to handle himself. He just had to tell her what Kayla told him, so she won't think Kayla is as fault.

"From here on out, I don't want you to worry about anything. I'm going to take care of all of this." Brent ensured.

"Thanks, Daddy." Kayla took another breath, got up from her chair and hugged him tight. It was that moment that Brent knew he had to get into full protection mode for his daughter. His first step was to explain to Trice what was going on and find out who had her wallet to begin with.