Chapter 53

"Brice, come on, we have to go now." Trice called out to her son. Her cell phone rang it was the fourth call she's gotten from Brent. She didn't want to talk to him but she knew she couldn't ignore him forever.

"Are we going to see daddy?" Brice asked.

She sighed. That's why she can't ignore Brent.

"This is daddy calling right now," she said, touching the green icon on her cell phone to answer the call.

"Hello." She answered dryly.

"Hey, Trice, how are you?" He asked in a calm tone.

"Did you call to talk to your son?" She asked.

"I needed to talk to you about something very important." He said. "It's about your wallet and that money."

"I take it that daughter of yours came clean." Trice stood with her free hand on her hip.

"Actually, she did. Do you have time to talk? Like sit and talk. I want to tell you everything she said."

"You can tell me now."

"I'm in town now, maybe we can meet up and talk."

She froze. "You're in town?" She asked.

"Yes. I was headed to your mother's house, but I wanted to call and see where you were first."

"Well, I'm out right now." She said.

"Where are you?" He asked.

"I'm leaving Winn-Dixie."

"Going home?"

"I don't have a home, remember?"

"Trice, this is serious. I just want to talk to you and help you."

She sucked her teeth and sighed. "I'm headed to my mother's house now." She informed.

"Okay, I'll meet you over there then."

About ten minutes later, Trice made it to her mom's house and Brent was already there waiting on her.

"Daddy!!" Brice dashed to his father after got out the car.

"Hey, little man." Brent picked his son up, throwing him over his shoulder.

Trice watched as Brent and Brice shared a moment hugging. "Son, let me talk to mommy for a minute." He put Brice down.

"Brice, here, go unlock the door and go in the house for a minute while I talk to daddy." Trice held up the house key for his to know and use.

Brice did as he was instructed and disappeared into the house. 

"What do you need to talk to me about?" She asked, folding her arms and leaning on her car.

"I'm sorry for everything that's been going on," he began. "I sat with Kayla and she told me something. She said that some woman had got wallet ," he paused.

She had a puzzled look. "My wallet?"

"and gave it to her." He continued.

Trice narrowed her eyes, "you bought that?" She questioned. "How could a random woman get my wallet all the way in Nashville?" She asked.

"She ran into this woman here. Remember when she came to the house?"

"Who was the woman?" She asked.

He shrugged. "She doesn't know. She only said she was a little old lady. That's how she got all your information to get your money."

Trice sighed. "Who is this woman? And I'm not sure if I can believe what Kayla shared with you."