Chapter 30

Derrick pulled in front of his niece's school and parked his car. He got out and walked inside the school to pick her up.

"Uncle D, why are you picking me up today?" She asked him s they got in the car.

"Your coming with me." He said.

"Where?"

"To work." He answered.

"Work?"

"I agreed to give you a job at my firm."

"How much will I be making?" She asked.

"It's more like an unpaid internship."

"I don't want to work for free." She fussed.

"That's something you may want to take up with your dad, however, I wouldn't recommend you put up a fight for that." He started the car.

She rolled her eyes and put her seatbelt on as he drove off. When they arrived to his office, she followed him all the way to his office.

"Alright, here's a notepad." He handed her a black notebook and then he sat down. He picked up his phone and made a quick call and suddenly a woman appeared in the doorway of his office.

"Where's our new intern?" She asked as she stepped in.

"Hey Pat," Derrick greeted her, "this is my niece, Joy. Joy, this is my co-worker, Pat. She's gonna help you out today."

Joy looked at Pat and Pat looked at her and grinned. "Aren't you beautiful." She complimented. "Come on, we have a lot of work to do." PAt began to walk out the office and noticed was still sitting. She turned and stared at her for a moment. "Come on!" She snapped her fingers.

Joy glanced at her uncle and he waved his hand, signaling her to follow Pat. He wanted to laugh, but not to her face. She got up and went after Pat.

When she left, Derrick let out a chuckle because he knew that Pat was going to give Joy hell and the blues. She was a nice woman, but when work needed to be done, she wasn't the one the play with.

After three hours, it was time for him to leave the office. He was done with his work and had a case to attend to that morning. He went to Pat's office, and she was sitting at her desk on a phone call with Joy near her writing some notes down.

When she was off the call, she reached for the notepad Joy had and began to scan it. "What is this?" She snapped. "I told you to write down important things and to leave a name of the person who called at the top of the note."

"I didn't know how to spell the name and you said it so fast, I didn't have time to even try to write it down." Joy complained.

"You know, you have a pretty face, but when you open your mouth and speak, I rethink that. You've been whining since I brought you in here. Stop making excused for everything. Own up to mistakes and learn from them." Pat said. "That whining stuff won't get you far." Pat let out a sigh and then looked at Derrick.

"Hope I wasn't interrupting." He said.

"No, I'm done. It's time for me to go home to my children." She said.

"How are they?" Derrick asked as Joy grabbed her things and tried to speed out the door.

"Hey, Joy!" Pat called  her name before she could make it out. Joy stopped and looked back. "I'm giving you homework."

"Huh?" Joy frowned at her.

"When you go to school tomorrow, I need you to take notes in one of your classes and bring them to me. Take accurate notes so that you and I can read them and discuss things."