Chapter 56

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay?" Angel asked as she placed the last of the dishes in the cabinet.

"Yes," Candy threw herself on her sofa. "For the thousandth time, I'm gonna be fine. I wanted to come back here, remember?"

"I know, but I'm just making sure you haven't had any doubts or changed your mind."

"And if I did?" Candy asked.

"We're gonna repack your stuff and haul you right back to Kenner." Angel laughed.

Candy laughed with her. "No thank you. I needed to leave and I know being back in Atlanta will give me that breath of air I've been needing."

"Well, in case you change your mind, I'm only a phone call away and I'll come running back here for you." Angel leaned on the countertop.

The door swung open and in comes Derrick. "Okay, that's everything from the truck." He said. "Y'all sure gone things set up in here in such a short time." He commented.

"Where's JJ?" Angel asked.

"He's out by the truck. He saw some lil girl pass by and now he's trying to mack." He laughed.

"Uh-uh, let me go get that lil boy!" Angel started marching to the door but Derrick stopped her.

"Babe, no, let him be." He pulled her arm.

"No, I don't need him getting caught up in some lil girl and end up being a teen dad or something."

"Babe, calm down. Let him be. We're gonna help Candy unpack some stuff."

Before anyone did anything, there was a knock at the door. Since Derrick was closer to the door, he opened it.

On the outside of the door, there was a man. Y'all, dark brown, dark beaded, low fade, athletic built man. "Hi, are you guys driving the Uhaul truck outside?" He asked.

"Yea," Derrick answered.

"Then I think these keys belong to you then." He held up a set of keys with a pink heart on the key ring.

"Oh, those are mine." Candy spoke up.

"How the hell did you leave your keys outside?" Derrick questioned, take the keys from the man.

"I sat them down when I came back from unlocking the door." She answered with a giggle.

"Thanks, bruh."

"Thank you so much." Candy said, somehow appearing at her brother's side. "I'm Candy," she said, extending her arm for a hand shake.

"I'm Travis. Your neighbor. I live right across the hall." He responded. "Hopefully, I see a lot of you." He flirted.

Candy blushed. "Hopefully."

"See you around." Travis walked across the hall and went into his apartment.

When Candy closed the door, Angel squealed. "Girl, you better catch that fine man."

"What fine man?" Derrick questioned.

"You're the only fine man I'm checking out, babe." Angel answered quickly with a smirk.

"I better be." Derrick grabbed Angel by the waist and kissed her lips.

After helping Candy set up her furniture and unpack some things, Derrick, Angel, and JJ returned the moving truck and headed home.

Finally settling in at home, Angel had showered and changed into more comfortable clothes.

"I hope Candy will be okay out there." Derrick said. "I think I'll give her a call after I eat." He said.

"No, don't call her and worry her." Angel said. "Your sister will be just fine. She doesn't need us bugging her and worrying so much."

He sighed. "You're right. I'll call another day."

"Good." She paused. "Besides, I already called her once we got home." She chuckled and that's what she told me.

He laughed. "Thank you, baby." He stood up and headed for the bathroom.

"For what?" She asked, causing him to stop in his tracks.

"For being there for my sister. I'm really glad that you two hit it off after meeting. I was glad that you're my wife and even glad about you building such a great relationship with my sister and I really love you for that." He stepped closer to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you too, babe." she kissed his lips. "And trust me, the relationship I have with Candy is just as beneficial to me as it is to y'all, so I'm glad to be your wife and have her in my life."

Before he stepped away, Derrick said, "when will JJ and Heaven be back?"

"I'll have to call Jordan and ask. I want them to settle in Cali but I'll have to see about holidays." She answered.

"I don't need a definite answer right now. Just whenever they come back, we could go on a family trip. To Disney, the beach, or a cruise or something." He suggested.

"Okay, it'll probably be some time around a holiday. I want them to get settled in their new home first and adjust to their new school. Until then, we can plan this vacation." She smiled.

"Okay." He said. Kissing her forehead and walking into the bathroom.