Chapter 12

"Brice, are you almost ready?" Latrice asked, "Your dad and I are ready to go."

"Yes, I'm ready." Brice walked down the stairs.

The doorbell unexpectedly rang and she answered it. She froze when she saw who was at the door. Brent's oldest daughter, Kayla.

Kayla gave LaTrice a blank look. 

"Kayla? What are you doing here?" LaTrice asked, nervously.

"I know my dad is here."

"Mama," Brice ran up to LaTrice, then he noticed Kayla at the door. "Kayla!"

Kayla gave Brice a smile that she didn't have when she saw LaTrice. "Hey, Brice." He hugged her and she hugged him back. "Where's daddy?" She asked him.

"He's in the living room."

LaTrice walked away from the door, not inviting Kayla in. "Brent?" she said his name to get his attention and he looked at her. "Someone's at the door for you." She said, walking away.

Before Brent could make it to the front door, Kayla was already walking in with Brice. "Kayla? What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Daddy, can you come home please?" she asked.

Brent sighed. 

"Mama misses you and so does Briana and Brandon." She referred to her two teen siblings.  Kayla was Brent's oldest daughter with his soon to be ex-wife, Kendra. She is a twenty-year-old college student.

Brent looked around to see if LaTrice was around. "Let's step outside and talk. Brice, stay in here while your sister and I go talk." He said, guiding her out the front door.

They walked to the driveway and he leaned on his car. "Listen, there are just a lot of things going on between your mother and I that you don't know about." He began.

"I know you cheated on mom with Brice's mom. I know you got her pregnant." She said. "When I was twelve, I remember hearing the altercation between you and Uncle Drew when they came to see us."

"How'd you know all of this?" he asked.

"I heard it all." She admitted. "I didn't care what was going on, I just didn't want you two to break up. It just seems like after all of that, all you guys did was fight and argue. All the time. Even after I went to school, Briana and Brandon wanted to come see me all the time because they didn't like how you guys treated each other." She confessed.

"Listen, Kay, I'm sorry you guys have to deal with this, but your mom and I made that decision to be apart. It's not working out between us."

Tears filled Kayla's eyes. "Why do you want to be with her?"

"Because I love this woman."

"You don't love mom?" she asked.

"I love your mom, but I'm just no in love with her. She's given me many years of her life, so of course I love her, but Trice is the woman that I should have been with all this time and I finally have that chance."

Kayla shook her head. "I don't like that at all."

"Listen, there's one thing that you'll learn as an adult and that is for you to do things that makes you happy." He said. "Your mom is a great woman, however, there wasn't much happiness between us, especially over the last several years." He said.

"What about us?"

"She and I had planned to talk this over with you guys some time when I get back." He said. "You may know some of is, but you don't know all of it and there are things that you shouldn't know as our child."