Chapter 35: The Great Shift

Kate and Ivee sat in the car while Naoko and Logan figure out where they should be headed to.
Rai was leaning on the fender, his arms crossed with a sour look on his face.

-"Alright, so we must head west past the mountains and then north to Vindur."- Naoko sighed as she approached the car.

-"Vindur? The Dark Continent?"- Kate gasped.

Was this a blessing in disguise for Kate? As much as she wanted to travel the world and see other continents and cities, she felt a bit overwhelmed after Zamcain. Hosún, the continent Zamcain is the capital of, is massive, and shares the land with Taluria, the continent to the west so their travels will take days even weeks. But it was the only way besides Zamcain and going back there was out of the question.

-"It sounds ominous, but if it's the only way back, might as well."- Rai pondered.

-"Who said you are coming back with us? After what you did?"- Naoko bit at Rai's direction.

-"Naoko, regardless of what he did, he is still part of our team. Please don't treat him this way. And besides, he drove you to get medical treatment, don't be rude!"- Kate popped her head out of the window

-"Tch, this kind heart of yours will be our downfall, I promise you."- Naoko sighed.

-"That being said, Kate, I need to talk to you."- Rai turned to Kate, who in turn nodded and began stepping out of the car.

-"Ah, ah, ah...not alone you ain't!"- Ivee pulled on Kate's pants, sliding them down, causing Kate to quickly sit back down and cover-up.

-"Ivee!!"-

Both sisters began fighting and arguing, it was comical in a sense but Rai felt Logan approach him. He quickly turned to find him inches from his face.

-"Tread lightly, blondie...if you so much as touch her inappropriately, I will break your neck."-

-"Now, Logan, no threatening, babe."- Kate stepped out of the car, leaving a dizzy Ivee behind.

-Babe?- That word made Rai's stomach turn. He wasn't comfortable with having Kate call Logan any pet names. Jealousy filled up in his heart as he discreetly white-knuckled it.

-"Walk with me."- Kate went ahead of Rai, her pace slow and confident in a way. Rai followed behind, leaving an angry Logan and an annoyed Naoko.

-"You have five minutes!!"- Naoko shouted.

Kate lifted her hand in a thumbs-up without looking back.

Both walked down to the sandy beach, a familiar atmosphere to Kate, which relaxed her greatly.-"What did you want to talk about?"- Kate initiated.

Rai didn't know where to start, he felt as if the information that he was about to reveal to Kate might get him in muddy waters, kicked out from their team or even killed by Logan. He took a hard gulp.

-"It's about Maya..."-

Kate's lips slowly turned downward, Rai couldn't see her face from standing behind her but he could tell she wasn't happy.

-"What about her?"- Kate's cold tone shot through his stomach.

-"I broke up with her two years before I took the cruise. Before I met you. And she was nowhere in my mind when we were...together."-

Kate remained quiet, she placed a hand on her beating heart, she was nervous and anxious, but this time was different. Something made her feel calm despite the chaos within.

-"So, you were in her apartment just visiting her?"- Kate sighed. -"Then why did she say that you two were still together?"-

-"I'm not sure...maybe she felt that we were getting back together when we--"-

Kate slowly turned to Rai. Her eyes expressed slight sadness.

-"W-we..."-

-"You fucked..."- Kate spat out.

Rai's heart was punctured by the blazing arrow that was Kate's sharp words. He sighed to regain composure, but he was still too afraid to say a word. Kate turned back to gaze at the sea.
-"Your silence is very loud, Rai, and in all honesty, I don't care anymore...yes, I'm hurt...fuck, I'm hurt, Rai, I really am."- Kate's voice cracked as she held back tears, unsuccessfully.
-"And it's going to hurt for a while."-

Rai's body became weak. He never meant to hurt Kate this way, he promised her, he promised himself, and yet, another thing added to the list of the things he has ruined.