Chapter 25- The Truth Comes Out

Rafe and I quickly get up from his bed and start getting dressed. "Did Topper also get arrested?" I ask Rafe as if it wasn't obvious already. 

"Yeah, he didn't tell me what for," Rafe said quickly with a very nervous tone, he was scrambling to find his keys. He took his phone out for a second, an email notification had just popped up on his screen. He bit his lip and pressed a few buttons on his phone, before closing his eyes. 

"So did the pogues and Sarah," I said while putting on a pair of shorts that I had left at his. "These fucking pogues," Rafe mumbled under his breath. I rolled my eyes at what he had just said, of course, he assumed that it was they're fault. "You know maybe it's Topper's fault," I said and he shook his head. "It isn't," Rafe said firmly as we left his room and jogged down the stairs. "How do you know?" I asked him. "It doesn't matter," he shrugged. 

I looked at him, but for the first time, I couldn't figure him out. 

Literally, a second ago he was telling me how much he loved me and now he was acting different, not rude, just different. 

I stepped into the car and sat down in the passenger seat. He didn't open the door for me, not that I needed him to do that, he just always did. He started driving to the police station, it was pretty far from Tanny Hill so we had a twenty-minute ride ahead of us. 

The ride was quiet, I looked at him a couple of times and saw him take long glances at me as well. "Rafe?" I asked him, wanting to understand what was wrong. "Mhm?" he hummed, I sat up a little and got ready for what I was about to say. "What's wrong?" I ask him looking deeply into his eyes. He looked back at me with a look that I could recognize, a look that he would always have on his face when making up a lie. 

"Nothing I'm just pissed that now we have to bail them all out," Rafe said, now looking at the road so that he wouldn't be looking straight at my eyes when lying to me. I hummed as a response and thought of what to say next. 

"Rafe, you don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, but I'm here and I know that's bullshit," I said to him. He took a closed his eyes for a few seconds and swallowed his saliva. "It's nothing to worry about Lil," Rafe said and I nodded, upset that he shut me down, but I wasn't going to force him to tell me anything he didn't want to. 

A few minutes passed by, the car was quiet and I could feel some tension in the air, making me a little bit nervous. "Have you ever felt like you wanted something, like really really bad?" He asked me and I looked at him confused, he was just staring at the road, lost in his thoughts. 

"I mean yeah-" I said before he interrupted me. "And you thought you would get it, so you got your hopes up." He said and I shrug, I didn't say anything because I knew he wasn't done. "And then, you didn't get it. So all the stories that you made up in your head about it are all things that won't ever happen." Rafe said and I could tell he was done and waiting for my answer. 

"Yeah, of course, I have, everybody has. Like once when I was little, I was convinced that I was going to go to Disneyland for my birthday. I had prepared drawings to hand to the characters and I even made a picture frame to hang pictures in my room. I remember one was Rapunzel themed so that when I met her I would be able to put that picture close to my nightstand." I said before realizing that I was going off trail and not really helping him out. Although I could see that he was listening, looking at me with the same eyes he always did. 

"So then my birthday came and I didn't go to Disney land. I was crying for hours and hours. I was really mad, Donatella, who was at my house to celebrate with us came into my room to talk to me, I remember she said something about having trust, if you really want something, like you really want it, you'll get it. Just don't give up on it, you will have endless chances as long as you keep getting back up." I said.