Chapter 34- Midsummers Fiasco (Part 3)

Listen to 'I should hate you' by Gracie Abrams while reading this! 

Lillian's POV:

"And here comes the Thorton family," the announcer said and Topper and his mom and dad entered the event. 

"I'm gonna say hi to Top, be right back," I said to Kie, Pope, and Sarah. 

They all nodded and that was my cue to go. I hadn't talked to Topper in forever and unless Rafe had told him he had no clue of what had happened. 

I walked over to him and his family and greeted them before he took my hand and led me to a corner where we could have more privacy. 

He hugged me tight and I exchanged the hug, I really needed it, I missed him. "I'm so sorry Lil, about the Daniel thing. But it's good everything's over." 

"No, it's okay. I'm fine don't worry," I said, he didn't know about Rafe and me, and I for sure wasn't going to tell him. Just so he could feel bad for me, no. Rafe was going to have to tell him and Topper would make him feel like the idiot he was. 

"How have you been doing?" Topper asked me. 

"Fine I guess, just a little tired," I said and his face was surprised. 

"Lillian Jones tired?" he said in a sarcastic tone that gave me a sense of comfort, he didn't feel bad for me, I didn't have his pity, I could talk to him without him feeling like he was walking on thin ice. Finally someone like that. 

"I know right impossible," I chuckled. "Do you know where Rafe is?" Topper asked. The only happy moment I'd had in ages lasted a good 10 seconds, a new record. 

"Dunno, ask Sarah maybe," I said and he nodded. I could tell he wanted to say something but for some reason didn't. "Oh ok sure," he said and I smiled at him. 

"I'm gonna go to Pope but see you later?" I said and he nodded. "Remember to spare me a dance," he said with a smile and I laughed, I loved Topper so much, thank god for him. 

Sarah was at the drink table and I saw Topper approach her. Meanwhile, I turned around and went to talk with Pope who was still serving appetizers.

Topper's POV:

I walked over to Sarah, she and I hadn't talked in forever but we were on decent terms so I knew I could ask her about Rafe. "Hey Sarah, do you know where Rafe is?" I asked her. 

"Bro why are you asking me," Sarah said and I rolled my eyes. "Because I asked Lillian and she got pissed and told me to ask you," I said and Sarah made a face at me. 

"You asked Lillian are you stupid," Sarah said with a mad tone. "Why wouldn't I, it's her boyfriend," I said shrugging my shoulders. 

"Topper, Rafe cheated on Lillian," Sarah said and I laughed. "Sure he did," I said. Sarah's face didn't change. 

"I'm being so for real right now," she said and now it wasn't funny. 

"No way Sarah, he was so in love with her, like the second he saw her his face would change like every time she was mentioned either he had a smile pasted to his face or he got defensive and protective, there is no way," I said. Rafe loved Lillian in an indescribable way, everyone saw it, there was no way he cheated, no way. 

"Topper, I don't know what to tell you, that's what happened," What the fuck. "Where is he," I said in a more serious tone that Sarah understood. 

"I think he's inside right now," Sarah said and I nodded, about to make my way inside. 

"Topper," Sarah said and I turned around. 

"Make sure he knows what he lost," Sarah said. "Oh, he'll know,"