Chapter 27- Anger & Panic

Rafe's POV: 

It was around two p.m. and I was working on admission's essay for Brown, well, the re-do. I applied to Brown after Lillian showed me about the scholarship. 

I didn't know how it was going to work out, but I tried. Before bailing Topper and Lillian's friends out of jail, I had gotten an email from Brown. I still remember every word of it, 

"Dear Mr. Cameron, we are sorry to inform you that we have declined your application. Curriculum-wise, you were one of our top candidates, but economically, you didn't seem in exact need of a full-ride scholarship. Unfortunately, we have no more spots for normal enrolment. Due to that, we cannot accept you to Brown University. We hope to receive an application from you next year. Kind Regards, The Brown University Admissions Team." When I read it, my brain stopped for a second. 

I had made up all these possibilities in my mind of me going there, possibly also Lillian. Me finally moving forward with my dream to become a lawyer. The best part would've been having Lillian by my side the whole time. But no, all those dreams were going to stay a fantasy. 

To be honest I fully understood the reason why I got rejected. I am extremely privileged, and I certainly don't need a scholarship economically. But the thing that Brown wouldn't know is that if I decided to take this step I would've been cut off by my father and as a result broke. 

When Lillian said to me 'If you really want something, like you really want it, you'll get it. Just don't give up on it, you will have endless chances as long as you keep getting back up.' That's when I knew that it wasn't over yet. I was going to get into Brown somehow. 

So I contacted the heads of admissions and asked them if there was any possibility to be put on a waitlist, for any scholarship, or even a normal spot. They got back to me and told me that this year they were handling the waitlist slightly differently than usual. 

They said that we would have to write an essay, then they would select five candidates and they would have to perform a speech in front of the heads of the college. Then they would all make a final decision together. So there I was, working on my essay. 

Right as I started writing someone knocked on my door, I assumed Sarah. "Busy," I yelled. She opened the door either way which made me yell; "Sarah get out!" She chuckled at me which made me realize it wasn't Sarah, I knew that chuckle, it was Lillian. 

That chuckle lit up my day every single day. I lifted my face from my bed to look at her. "What a nice way to greet me," She said and I stood up. 

"Sorry I thought you were Sarah," I said and she smiled at me. I gave her a soft kiss. "What were you doing?" She said and glanced at my computer. 

"Nothing," I said and shut it closed. "Okay?" she said. 

"You ready to go?" I asked her and she nodded. "Are you?" She asked me which made me look at what I was wearing. Sweatpants and a white tee. 

"Oh shit, I'm not," I said and pulled out of my closet my golfing outfit. I put it on quickly in front of her and she chuckled, her eyes going to my abs. "I am now," I said and she smiled brightly at me, oh that smile. 

We headed towards the country club. In the car, I kept questioning if she was mad at me and she kept saying that she wasn't so after a while, I believed her. We arrived at the club and headed towards the golf course. I looked around for Max, and Lillian followed my glance. 

"There he is, I'll go take my clubs from the lockers you can go to him," I said pointing in the direction of Max, he was facing the opposite direction. "Okay, I love you," Lillian said to me. "I love you more," I answered.