Chapter 35- Unmerited Favours

Play 'Mess It Up' by Gracie Abrams while reading this!!

Lillian's POV:

The sun rays gleaming through the Château's windows woke me up pretty early. Yesterday was Midsummers, and it was surely something. I tried to not remember everything that happened yesterday before I left the event, it was such a nightmare. When the pogues and I had our hot tub party I was actually partially happy. 

Last night was the first time it actually occurred to me that Rafe wasn't coming back, we were over for good and I had to move on. Knowing that hurt a lot, but it was for the better. It had to be. 

My birthday was also coming up so I didn't want to be crying about him then. I made the decision that I wouldn't shed another tear for him, he made some decisions and I had to dissociate myself from them. This was it. We were over. Forever. 

"Pope, wake up," I whispered in Pope's ear, making him groan as I threw a pillow at him. "Can we go surf," I said. "I'm tired," he whined and I threw another pillow at him. "Come on, get ready and come out, I'm gonna drive to my house to grab my surfboard but I'll be fast, I'm taking the Twinkie," I said. "Okay see you in 15 outside?" Pope said, finally getting up. "Yeah, hurry," I said and he nodded. 

I missed surfing with Pope early in the morning, we always did that since we became friends, usually after parties because everyone else was too hungover to do anything before three p.m., and Pope and I are both morning people. 

I quickly drove to Figure Eight, playing my playlist and singing along to some songs. I pulled into my driveway and entered my house, "Mom, Dad, I'm home," I said and heard them greet me from upstairs. "Lillian come here," my mom said from her study. "What's up," I asked. "What are you doing today? I also have something to tell you," my mom said. 

"Okay so, I'm about to go surf with Pope and then I'll probably stay with the pogues," I said and my mom slightly frowned. "Just make sure you don't get yourself into trouble," she said and I nodded. "What did you want to tell me?" I said. 

"Well since you'll be graduating next year, I think it's smart for you to participate in an internship to get your chances of getting accepted higher, you have the brain and the skills," my mom said. 

"Oh yeah I was thinking about that too, I'll look into it with Sarah?" I said and my mom smiled. "Great, have fun and text us if you need anything," my mom said and I nodded. I got my surfboard from my room and put on a bikini and over it a pair of jean shorts, I also quickly packed a bag. 

I drove back to the Château and saw Pope waiting outside. "You ready?" He asked and I nodded. We started walking to the Pogues beach, holding our surfboards. "So, how have you been doing?" Pope asked me. "I'm okay, feeling better today, what about you," I asked looking at him. "I'm good as well. I want you to know I'm always here for you if you need me." Pope said and I smiled. I knew he was but I once again hated people pitying me it made me feel so fragile. "I know, also I was thinking, do you want to look into internships with Sar and me? I figured you might want to so you can add that to your resume for the scholarship." I said. "Yeah, that's smart, when?" he asked. 

"Dunno, let's surf," I yelled, running to the ocean as we made it to the beach. I dived into the water and paddled with my surfboard to the main place where I saw waves. "Come on Pope, hurry," I yelled and he as well paddled close to where I was. 

I saw a surfable wave and immediately rode it. "That one was awesome," I laughed and the adrenaline in my body gave me such a sense of comfort. Finally. We surfed for about two hours before deciding we were tired and walking back to the Château. 

Everyone there was awake and they were having breakfast. "Hello," I said, entering the kitchen. "Hey," They all said at the same time making me smile. I took some orange juice from the counter and poured it into a cup, I drank it quickly, the cold drink refreshing me.