61

Mars sat in the front of their moving truck, her head turned towards the window. They were driving through the town as Mars stared at everything being taken away from her.

The pizza parlor where her and Michael had their first date, the grocery store where she would get her food, the school where she barely attended, the building where her therapist ; her old therapist; was, and finally the street they were turning down that drove past Michael's house.

"This doesn't lead to the highway," She mumbled into her sweater sleeve.

"No but it can lead to closure," Her mother quietly said as she slowed down by Michael's house.

He was outside playing football with the rest of the boys.

"I don't want to see any of them," Mars whispered trying to force herself to look away but she couldn't. Her gaze was stuck to him like a moth to a light. Mars was, as some would say, seeing love at sight. It wasn't the first but it was all she could see at that moment. "How can I leave him, Mum? He is the most important person in my life that I have loved since Dad left us. How can I give up this happiness?"

"I don't know sweetie," Her mom sniffed looking away. Her mother was in deep thought. Could she take away her daughter's happiness all because she wanted to get away from this town? Of course, her mom loved it here but she wanted her daughter to get something more in life, "I just want what is best for you."

"Mum, by next year I can get into any college I want. I can travel the world with you. Michael tells me I am really smart and we applied for scholarships together. I have gotten a lot of money with his love and help."

Her mother stopped the car, the boys stopping and looking at the vehicle parked across the street.

"Why didn't you tell me," Her mum frowned.

"I wanted it to be a surprise once I got into a good school. I wanted you to be proud of me," Mars gave a small smile brushing stray tears away.

"I am proud of you, hunny," The mother smiled at her daughter before hugging her.

"Then let me stay here," Mars begged.