Chapter 86

“Kim Jaeyeon, is there really nothing?”

– “There’s really nothing! Why are you suddenly like this?”

“People can’t be completely without flaws. Did you at least try digging something up?”

– “Well, I tried digging, but…”

After wiping a few drops of blood from the back of my hand, I put on my mask and left the restaurant. I chose the least crowded path and called Kim Jaeyeon as I walked.

Fuck… I flinched every time a car came by.

– “They say tons of variety show offers come in because of how much he eats… but he rejects them all.”

“…”

– “…That’s all there is.”

“…I’m going crazy.”

– “Ah, I didn’t want to talk about it because I knew you’d react like this.”

Min Jiheon was the real deal. That bastard showed me that himself.

Seeing ghosts? That rumor won’t be effective, right?

Even if people knew Min Jiheon had a strange ability, it wouldn’t really hurt him. Instead, having a rumor of being a club regular would be worse for his image.

I didn’t know how Kim Jaeyeon interpreted my annoyance, but he deflated and said,

– “I’ll contact you if I find something. But I can’t guarantee anything.”

“…Understood. Go and take a look.”

I hung up the call immediately, roughly stuffing my phone into my pocket. As cars passed by, I lowered my head and walked with long strides. Whenever a car quickly sped by the empty road… the accident came to mind, my breath felt heavy, and my hands trembled.

My younger brother… No, no, never mind.

The urge to check up on him welled, but showing him my current state would only cause more worry. He already embraced all the world’s worries… there’s no need to add mine to the mix.

…Let’s go back. Sleep and think later.

My thoughts were tangled, and I couldn’t properly sort through the situation. I kept muttering curses, and I closed my mouth as soon as I entered the dorm. Kang Ichae, who had heard the door open, came out of the room with headphones hanging around his neck.

“Mom, the gorgeous 20-something rapper came to visit.”

“…Ugh.”

“Did you have fun at the audition~?”

Kang Ichae was babbling nonsense like usual, but I was too shocked to think of a proper response. As I tried to pass by with a vague answer, Kang Ichae stopped and furrowed his eyebrows.

“…?”

“…What.”

“What’s this?”

At the moment when Kang Ichae seemed to say something after scanning me up and down…

“Why are you breathing so heavily—”

Beeeeeeeeep!

Shit.

A car horn honked outside.

“…”

I thought it was another hallucination, so I tried to hide my trembling hands and maintain my expression. Kang Ichae took a step back and glanced out the window.