🥀21🥀

mentioned past abuse.

-

Her fingers glided across the keyboard. She was supposed to be asleep, but she was wired. Her brain going faster than a sorcerer casting Ray of Exhaustion.

   Perhaps that is why she couldn't sleep, the little sorcerer in her mind was trying to cast it, but her mind was simply moving too fast for it to work.

   Shaking the thought from her head Viola looked back at her computer screen.

    '50,143 words... it's only chapter six,'

    "Vi, what are you doing up?"

   "Not tired," she muttered.

   Hyunjin sat up and looked at the time.

  04:23

     "Baby, turn off your computer, try to sleep," Hyunjin said softly.

   Viola pursed her lips and shut her laptop.

    She laid there for a few minutes as Hyunjin fell back to sleep.

      Viola sat up and sighed.

   Quietly, she shuffled out of bed and put on her puffer jacket, then slid on her shoes.

    Grabbing her phone and keycard, she left the room carefully.

   It was not smart, she knew that, but she just wanted a minute, a moment actually alone.

   As she walked outside of the hotel she shivered. It was probably 30 degrees out right now.

    Unlike her father, she didn't warm up fast.

   Walking down the pavement, she hugged her jacket close to her.

   Sometimes she felt suffocated. For six years she knew one way of living, the way where no one really cared about her... then it shifted over night; suddenly, everyone around her cared.

  Cared if she ate, cared if she went to school, cared if she got hurt... cared about her.

   Biting her lip, Viola pulled her phone out and turned it on. Opening her contacts her thumb hovered over one name she had never really called.

   Finally she pressed tye call button and put the phone to her ear.

   "Hello?"

   Viola held her breath for a minute.

  "Viola, I know you're there,"

   "Hi, Julianna," she said softly.

    "Why are you calling at this hour? Are you not in California with your father?"

  "I...I am. I just..." Viola took a breath, "I can't sleep,"

  "So why did you call me?"

   Viola bit her lip, "I... have questions... questions about what happened, about why you don't like me,"

   "I made big mistakes when it came to you. I wasn't and probably will never be ready to have kids, but when I found out about you, Hyunjin and I had already broken up.

  I thought that if he knew about you he'd stay with me, marry me, but he didn't. He was only there for you, it made me very upset, so I made sure he had barely any contact with you..." Julianna paused.

    "I can't remember half the things that happened, because of all the stuff I was doing, one thing I do know is that I was upset at you and Hyunjin, so I took it all out on you,"

  "Are you still upset?"

   "Sometimes, but I am trying to work through it,"

   "Did you ever love me?" Viola asked, voice shaky, scared of Julianna's answer.

  Julianna took a breath  "Back then no I don't think I ever did, because I was so resentful of you and I was mad that you had taken away things from me,"

  "What about now?"

   "I don't know, I don't think I could answer that because I don't know you now. I don't think I've ever known you or tried to,"

     Viola's lip trembled as tears fell, "Why did you do it? Why did you hurt me?"

   "Do you know about Hyunjin's father?" Julianna questioned.

   "Yes,"

    "My mother was like him, she was always mad at me because I ruined her life, unlike Hyunjin I didn't break that cycle. I was always angry at you, and it wasn't your fault it was mine, everything you did just upset me and the things I was taking amplified it all, just like it did with my mom and Hyunjin's dad.

  Is hold have been stronger and broken that cycle of hurt and abuse, but I didn't and I hurt you in the process,"

   "Why did you threaten Felix? He did nothing wrong,"

  "I admit I was nasty to Felix and I wasn't thinking. I wanted to make your dad hurt and I wanted to make you hurt in a way. I was also spiteful of the relationship Felix had with both of you, it was good and I wanted to ruin it,"

   Viola pursed her lips trying to hold back a small sob, but failed.

   "But you were still willing to do it when dad called, which means you still wanted to hurt us. You...you used what happened to Felix against him," Viola said, her breathing heavy and uneven.

    "I did, and it was a mistake, I shouldn't have done it," Julianna said.

   "It's not a mistake if you continued to hold it over him, you knew by doing it he would do whatever you told him to,"

   "Viola, I know I that I haven't been a good mom to you, but I still deserve some respect,"

    Viola shook her head, "You were never a mom to me. Felix has and always be more of a parent to me over you,"

   "Viola,"

   "No, I'm done. I thought that maybe I would feel better, but now I just... you'll never say sorry or feel it and that is something I'll have live with,"

    Viola hung up and shoved her phone in her pocket.

   Tears were rolling down her cheeks, her eyes hurt because of how she kept closing them to hold back tears. It all hurt more than she thought.