37

"How was school?"

   Viola took her bag off and set it in the backseat, "It was, uh, okay,"

   Felix nodded and put the car in drive,   "So your dad has depositions to do tonight, so he won't be home for a while. I was thinking that we can get some dinner then I can drive you home and you can get your stuff for the sleepover,"

    "Dinner sounds nice, but, uh, I'm not going to the sleepover," she said.

   "Why not? You seemed so excited last night," Felix asked.

    "Uhm, uninvited, by Cindy and her parents,"

    "What? Why?"

    "Because of the thing with Winslow. They don't exactly like that you "dated" him, when that isn't even the case," Viola said.

   Felix pursed his lips.

  -

     The house was dark when Hyunjin entered it. He figured Felix was asleep and Viola was at the sleepover.

   Walking to the kitchen, he took a deep breath and pulled out a crystal decanter and cup from the cupboard.

   As he down a cup, he heard shuffling, then the light over the stove turned on.

    "Long day?" Felix asked.

    Hyunjin poured another glass and downed it.

  Before Hyunjin could pour another glass Felix took the decanter and closed it.

   "Drinking won't help, my love,"

   The older pursed his lips and sighed, "Has Vi called about anything?"

   "Viola is in her room sleeping, she didn't go to the sleepover," Felix said.

   "Why?" Hyunjin questioned.

    "The parents and the girl didn't want her to go, because of the crap with Winslow,"

  "I should go talk to her,"

  "Baby, she is sleep. What happened at work?" Felix asked.

   Hyunjin took a breath.

    "I just had to depose two six year old kids," Hyunjin said.

  "What?"

   "According to defence they are key witnesses. I tried to petition the court and say that they were too young to testify, but the court determined that they were mature enough to do so.

   So I had to sit for three or four hours talking to these two little kids about how their mother killed their father and Grandmother,"

   "Hyunjin..."

    "The drive back here all I could think of were you and Viola. Kept thinking "what if that was Vi?", "If Felix was there he'd know what to say and do,". It is horrible to experience what they did, but to have to relive it..." Hyunjin sighed.

  "To reliving it hurt a lot. It's not just a dull pain that you think will pass. It's too much to handle at once sometimes," Felix said.

   Hyunjin held Felix's hand and squeezed it softly.

    "I don't want to put them up there, but I don't have a choice. I really don't know what to do,"

    "Before it all happened what was home life like for them?" Felix asked.

   "Bad. The son is deaf, if he didn't have his cochlear implants in the mom would get pissed. Their mom has a loose temper, reminds me of Julianna's temper," Hyunjin told him.

  "Opening statements are tomorrow?"

   Hyunjin nodded.

   "She wants a type of control and she is getting that through having her six year olds get on stand. She's probably been wanting control for a while and she got it with their father. The grandmother she was maternal?" Felix questioned.

   "How'd you know?"

   "Why kill the grandmother if it wasn't her mom?"

    "Why kill the dad then?" Hyunjin questioned.

   "I feel like I am in your class all over again," Felix said.

   "Talking to you always helped me,"

    Felix smiled a little, "The dad most likely stood up to her. Look at the dad's background, he probably got picked on in school or he was a nice guy, a gentleman. He would never lay his hand on anyone. Finally stood up to her and she snapped, grabbed a kitchen knife and well..."

   "Can you sit in? You can get a press pass,"

    "The judge wouldn't allow that because I'm your fiancée," Felix said.

   "The gallery is open to the public. It would help if you were there," Hyunjin said.

   "Hyunjin, you shouldn't even be telling me about this, I'm not even consulting on this case,"

   "You have a psychology degree,"

   Felix pursed his lips, "If you can get the judge to sign off, I will be there,"

   "It would help having you there. It may also help the two kids," Hyunjin said softly, pulling Felix into a hug.

   "I'll be there if I can, I promise. How are the kids doing with being in custody of different family?"

   Hyunjin sighed, "They are in state custody. The worker said that it probably unlikely that they'll even get adopted, because of their mom and because of just so many factors,"

    Felix pressed a small kiss on Hyunjin's neck, "I'm sure they'll be adopted, my love,"

    "Their names are Faye and Aries, I hope they do,"

   Felix took a deep breath.

   Hope...