29

"So, since we last saw each other, you've had a daughter, you almost got married, and you've become a lawyer, anything else?"

    "I was a professor for a period of time," Hyunjin said.

   "I don't know whether to be surprised or not," Areum said.

     "Why would you be surprised?" Felix asked.

   "Growing up, Hyunjin never listened to teachers and when we got into uni, he didn't listen to professors. Yet he still aced every exam. It frustrated all of them, I'm surprised he'd want to sit through that,"

  "It annoyed your brother the most, especially when his wedding to Jisung was coming around. I started tuning him out because all he would do is talk about Jisung," Hyunjin mentioned.

    Areum's brows drew together, "His brother?"

  "Yeah, uhm, Minho,"

   "Oh, I didn't know he had a brother. I mean even in that brief period where I was around more because you and I were together, he never mentioned it," Areum said.

    Hyunjin pursed his lips and looked at Felix.

   Felix smiled at the woman, "When Minho was in uni I wasn't around much. I was mainly in Pennsylvania,"

     Areum nodded, "So is that how you know each other?"

  "Uh, yeah. We met a couple times here and there," Hyunjin said.

   Viola tilted her head.

    "Hyunjin, dear, why don't you help Areum clear. I would like to show Felix and Viola the plum blossoms out back," the woman said, standing up and walking to the backdoor.

   "I can help clear," Felix said.

    The old woman shook her head, "Nonsense, they can do it. I would like to get to know you more,"

   "We got it," Hyunjin said.

   Felix nodded and stood up following the two to the backyard.

  "So you and him must be really close for you to bring him to meet Mira," Areum said.

   "Yeah, uhm, he was actually my student five years ago," Hyunjin told her, picking up some plates.

    "Really?"

   "Yeah, top of my class and he wasn't even a law student,"

     Areum hummed.

   -

   "So, is that the agreed upon story? That he met you in passing because of your brother?" Mira asked.

   "Uh, for general public yeah, why?" Felix questioned.

   "You seemed bewildered when he told her that,"

    "It is because dad told him, he loves him," Viola chimed.

   Felix pursed his lips.

  "I am not surprised, the least bit,"

   "Mm, with the mistakes I've made regarding him and I, I am," Felix muttered.

   Mira hummed and stopped to look at the flowers on the tree.

   "Perseverance. Purity. Renewal. That is what these flowers represent," she said.

   "That is interesting,"

   "It is because they can start blooming in the winter. Which is also considered the beginning of a new year," Viola said.