38

bold=signing

   Bold & underline= signing and talking

-

   "So you are consulting on a case?"

  "Yeah,"

   "Why?" Karina asked.

  "Hyunjin asked me to and I want to," Felix said.

"What is this case even about?"

   "Murder case,"

   Hyunjin turned into the courthouse, "We're here,"

  "Okay, Karina, I have to go. You can pick Vi up today right?"

  "Yeah, yeah, don't worry about it babe," Karina said.

  "Thanks, text me when you are with her,"

   Felix nodded at what Karina said then said a soft, 'Bye,'

    "Are you ready to go in?" Hyunjin asked.

   "I don't know, am I ready to watch two six year olds testify?" Felix questioned.

  "Angel, I've been doing court cases for years and I'm not even ready,"

  Felix pursed his lips, "Can I talk with them before court starts?"

  "Yeah, they aren't going up until after two of the neighbours testify. I can set you guys up in the counsel room," Hyunjin said.

    "I never asked, how are the other lawyer thing me being brought on to consult?" Felix asked.

   "Defence is going to try to have a field day with it because you are a romance Novelist and advice columnist, and you don't practice. The other lawyers on my team are trying to understand what I am doing,"

   "I think some times I am trying to figure that out,"

   Hyunjin smiled, "Let's go,"

   "Is there anything else I need to know about them?"

   "I already told you Aries is deaf, uhm, Faye is diabetic. Type one. She has a PDM, a personal diabetes manager, it is connected to her father's phone. She has a birthmark on the left side of her face around her eye, she doesn't like when people look at it,"

   Felix nodded, "Okay,"

   -

   "What exactly are you trying to accomplish with having your fiancée, who has no experience in a courtroom be here?"

   "I used to teach Criminal law. He was one of my students, he has been in a courtroom and he knows what he is doing. Just give him a chance, Gia,"

   The woman sighed.

    The door to the counsel room opened  and the social worker and the two kids walked in.

    "Mrs. Russ, hi," Hyunjin greeted the social worker.

   "Hello, Mr. Hwang, Ms. Anne,"

   "Mrs. Russ, this is Felix Lee-" "I know who he is, but why is he here?" Mrs. Russ cut Hyunjin off.

   "It is a pleasure to see you too, Leona," Felix said.

   "You two know each other?" Gia questioned.

  "Before I was a columnist, I did a piece on how teens tend to fall through the cracks of the system, I interviewed Mrs. Russ, she got a promotion after it,"

   "So, why does it seem like you guys don't like each other?" Hyunjin asked.

  "He's upset that I decided to turn down a news story that would have made his career boom early,"

     Felix rolled his eyes, "I could care less about how it would affect my career, you took the job as a form of hush money,"

   "Why is he here? He is a journalist, not a lawyer," Mrs. Russ said.

  "He is consulting, regarding the kids and the case," Hyunjin told her.

   Felix looked to the kids who both seemed a bit shy, "Do you both sign?" Felix asked.

   Both of the kids eyes lit up.

   "You know how to?" The girl asked.

    Felix nodded, "My name is Felix. What are yours?"

  "I'm Aries,"

   "Faye,"

   "Cute. I believe that you have met my..." Felix paused trying to remember the sign, "...husband Hyunjin,"

    Their eyes widened and they looked to Hyunjin.

    "Really? You're married?" Faye questioned.

  Felix's eyes widened and he pursed his lips.

   "What's wrong, Lix?" Hyunjin questioned.

   "Nothing, I just, uh, mixed up the sign for husband and fiancée,"

   "I would prefer if you didn't do that with them. It isn't polite," Mrs. Russ said.

   Felix pursed his lips.

  "Gia, can you take the twins to get something from the vending machine?" Hyunjin asked quickly.

  "Yeah, but, uh, we only have ten minutes,"

   Hyunjin nodded.

   "Go with Gia to get a quick snack," Felix said.

   The two nodded and went with Gia.

"Why did you do that?" The older woman questioned.

   "I don't care what you believe to be disrespectful, if they find that for them signing is easier than speaking then I will not stop them, because it is quite likely that their mother believed that they shouldn't sign so she knows what they are talking about.

   They are six and have been through hell and back. Now, in just a few hours they will have to relive it. I am here to make sure that they feel safe and that they feel comfortable, and if part of that process is them signing instead of speaking verbally, that is fine.

   This isn't about whether you believe it is polite, it is about them feeling safe and comfortable when their whole life they probably have only felt that when their mother was gone," Felix stated.

   "Mr. Hwang, this is inappropriate, he cannot talk like this,"

  "Mrs. Russ, Felix is right. When they get on stand they are facing someone who hurt them and if before that happens they want to sign because it makes them comfortable, then they can do so," Hyunjin stated.

  The woman crossed her arms, "Very well,"

   "Felix, do you believe you spoke with them enough?"

   Felix nodded.

   "Okay, you will be sitting at counsel table two with them and me," Hyunjin told him.

   "Alright, let's go," Felix said.

   Hyunjin nodded and opened the door for Felix.

    When they exited Aries and Faye ran up to Felix.

   Hyunjin watched the three and pursed his lips.

  Would it be...?