Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Cameron's POV

As the sunlight seeped through the seam of the curtains. I slowly pry open my eyes. I slept well last night, maybe because I was exhausted from the roller coaster of emotions last night.

I made my way to the bathroom that had a tub in it and a shower as well. Why would anybody need both of these in the same room? I remembered last night, how the warm water hit my skin. It felt so good and nice, I didn't want to get out of the shower. I can't remember when was the last time I had a warm shower, or have I ever had one.

As I made my way to the out, I was standing in a walk-in closet. With a full-length mirror at the end of the hall and the other had a dressing table with lights surrounding the edges of the mirror.

After brushing my teeth, I tiptoed my way downstairs. Getting a better view of the surroundings now, there is a huge glass window that extends from the ceiling to the ground that was beside the stairs. I could see the pool from here and a large patch of lush green grass.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, Walter was standing there "Good morning, I was just about to knock on your door. Although, Ezri did say let you sleep in. She's in the dining hall having breakfast now. Let me escort you there." He immediately turned around without waiting for my response.

I just quietly followed him. We passed yet another long hallway. This hallway has enormous windows as well and an occasional statue in between them. Each of the windows had individual grey curtains that were nicely tucked at the side to let sunlight in.

When I entered what I assumed to be the dining hall, there were two tables. One long table that could comfortably fit at least fit 10 people and a smaller round table beside it.

Ezri lifted her head up and looked at me "Good morning, did Walter wake you up? I told him to let you rest."

"No no, he didn't. He's the one who actually found me, if not I'll be lost." I replied.

"Come sit, have breakfast. I wasn't sure what you prefer so I told the kitchen to prepare both western and asian dishes." Ezri gestured for me to sit. I saw the table was filled with so much food from fried noodles to hashbrowns. There were at least 5 different dishes.

The same lady that was speaking to Ezri last night. Maria I think is her name, was also sitting at the same table. As I was about to take my seat, a seat away from Ezri. Maria stood up bringing her plate with her "I'm done. Sit girl and accompany our little Ezri here."

'Our little Ezri' was she her aunt or her mother? Why was everyone so casual around her? Isn't she some kind of mafia boss?

I grabbed a plate and placed a little bit of everything on it. I could feel that Ezri was looking at me as I ate. I felt intimidated and ashamed. I never learnt any table manners before, am I making a fool out of myself now?

"Ezri" I said. She kept her gaze on me while I slowly faced her. "Why did you actually bring me here for? If you didn't want me to please you or get in bed with you. Did you want to hire me as a maid or tend the garden?" my eyes made their way to meet hers.

"Sorry there are no openings for maid or gardener positions." She teased. "I don't know what came over me last night but I felt like I had to do it. Leaving you there just feels wrong, maybe because I was concerned what they would do to you once I left. I'm not sure. Not that I regret doing it." She shrugged her shoulder and took another bite off her plate.

Hearing those words, made my heart warm. No one had cared about my well-being before not even the people who brought me into this world.

She reached for a document and handed it over to me. I took it and looked inside. There was my contract, identification card and few other things.

"Those belong to you. Don't ever give them to someone else again." she said it with a serious tone but I know it's because she cares. "You can do whatever you want to do, study, or get a job. It's all up to you. You could stay or leave, I won't force you to do things that you are unwilling to do." my heart skipped a beat when she said that and my chest felt all fuzzy, her eyes were full of sincerity.

"Although I do prefer if you stayed." Winking her eyes as she said it. "The house is just too big and a new face around here would be great. Don't tell Walter I said that, he gets jealous quick." She quickly adds in a hushed tone. 

"The room is yours. Do whatever you want with it." She said as she was about to stand. She held my chin and lifted it up to face her. "Are you okay? Why are you all teary again? Is it because you never had a room to yourself?"

I was about to cry. Humans like this still exist, I thought to myself. "A bed. I never had a bed to myself before." A tear slipped as I said that. I was happy but I just couldn't hold the sadness back.

She wiped it away, she slowly moved closer. Then her phone rang. She took a step back and sighed internally. "I'll have Maria or Walter show you around the house." She took a quick glanced at of her phone "Sorry I have to take this." She made her way out of the dining hall.

Relief swept through me. For a second there I felt my heart was doing summersault, I wanted it to happen but somehow knew that it shouldn't. I looked down at my plate and continued to finish my breakfast.