Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Ezri's POV

Another week has passed since they got together. I didn't know if she saw me that night, but whether she did or not, I wasn't ready to face her yet. I don't know if I could control my emotions around her. The first few nights, I didn't go home. I stayed at the office and slept there. Cameron must have thought I extended the business trip or something. I purposely avoided her for the week. I went to work early and came back very late at night. Making sure there wasn't a chance that I would bump into her. We were awfully distant.

Three days ago, my phone buzz and I saw it was a text from Cameron

Cameron: Ez! You can't believe it, I passed my driving test!

Ezri: I knew from the get go you would have passed :)

Ezri: Congratulation!

Cameron: Thank you. If it weren't for you I wouldn't even been able to take my driving lesson.

Ezri: Stop saying thank you already.

I tried to sound normal. She didn't even want to tell me that they are dating now. Am I really no one to her? Am I that insignificant?

Cameron: Are you free this Saturday? Hailey and Mia organised a birthday party in a nearby club. I wondered if you could join.

It's her birthday this Sunday. I didn't want to say no and rejecting may make things seem amiss.

Ezri: Sure.

Cameron: Great! I'll let them know.

Saturday evening before the party

Cameron didn't have work today and she was in her room. I bought her a bouquet of flowers it was roses with sunflowers in the middle. The roses were white like her pure and innocent. Sunflower hoping her days would be bright every day.

I took a deep breath before knocking on her door. "Come in!" I could hear a faint voice coming from inside.

As I opened the door, I scanned the room it was empty "Cam?" then a small figure popped out from the closet. She was just wearing a white robe. I immediately stared out of the window. I didn't know where to look. I can feel my cheeks starting to get hotter and my heart threatened to leap out of my chest.

"I got you flowers. Happy early birthday." I handed it to her, making sure to not stare directly at her. Suddenly a pair of arms were on my neck pulling me into a hug. "Thank you Ez." I gently patted her back "You're welcome."

When she finally pulled back, I passed the flowers over to her. Finally having the courage to look at her, her lips curled inward like she was trying to hide her smile. I reached into my pocket "Here's another thing." I handed over a bankbook.

"I took the initiative to open a bank account for you. I pulled a few strings here and there so yeah." My free hand was on the nap of my neck. Did I go overboard, opening a bank account without her knowledge nor permission. I didn't want to upset her on her birthday.

She slowly took the book and opened it up reading the context. "This money..."

"I didn't put any of my money in it." Words quickly stumbled out of my mouth. "It's all yours. Your hard earned salary." This time I said it while staring straight at her. She gave me the look again, the look like she was about to burst into tears.

"I'm sorry if I went overboard. Are you upset?" worrying that I really did upset her this time, I searched her eyes for some sort of answer.

"No.. It's the sweetest thing someone ever done for me. Thank you Ez." Her words lit up my heart again. I returned a smile.

"I'll let you get ready then. I'll wait for you downstairs." I made my way downstairs. Maybe it didn't really matter who she was with. As long as I could make her happy and protect her like this. I was already content. Maybe it's a way of deceiving myself and comforting my aching heart.

I worked on my iPad while I waited on the couch downstairs. As I heard footsteps coming down, I slowly turned my head around. I gulped at the sight of her, she was wearing a sleeveless black mini dress. It hugged her body perfectly. It accentuated her every curve, and made every inch of her stand out. My eyes followed her down the stairs. This time my heart pounded so hard that I got dizzy spells.

In awe of the sight of her, I didn't realise my mouth parted until she called my name "Ez, do I look okay?" fixing her hair that she kept loose. Her jet black hair was straightened out and she parted it at the side.

I stood up, throwing my iPad on the couch "Gorgeous." I could see her cheek turned crimson red, while she tucked her hair behind her ear.

As per usual, I just wore a black slack with black button down. I had sunglasses over my head. Cameron was struggling trying to hook on the laces for her heels. Her hair was also getting in the way. I knelt down in front of her "Let me." I easily hooked on the laces and stood back up.

I lend out a hand "Let's get this party started" she took my hand and we walked out hand in hand. For a second there, all my troubled thoughts seemed to disappear into the background. I opened the passenger seat for Cameron. After she's all settled in I close the door gently behind her. I decided to drive today instead asking Andrew.

Let's see where the night will lead us.