Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Two months later

Ezri's POV

It's been a long day at work, my energy has been drained from all the meetings and paperwork that I had to go through before I could approve them. By the end of the day, my energy bar would automatically fill up, just thinking about how I could see Cameron again.

When I got home, it was already near dinner time. I made it a thing to reach home in time for dinner. Work kept both of us busy and dinner was the only time we really had together. I made my way to the dining hall, it was empty. I placed my bag down and walked towards the kitchen still empty. Her car was parked in the garage, made no sense if she wasn't home. Then I went upstairs, the door to my office was open ajar and light shone out through the cracked door. The library was still dark.

As I neared the entrance, I could see Cameron with one hand on the table, the other grabbing some photos. I scanned the table, there were at least twenty photos scattered on it. I tiptoed into the office, then hugged her from behind while burying my face in the crooked of her neck.

Cameron jolted as I hugged her "Hey baby, you're home." I sniffed in her scent, the one I've longed for the whole day. It was addictive. I just continued to rest on her shoulder while she scanned through more of the pictures.

When I finally lifted my head up, I realised all the photos were of us. "What are you doing with all of these love?"

Cameron let out a cheeky smile, she moved out of my embrace and dragged me by the arm. In the hallway, she pointed to the white wall. That's when I saw there were already two pictures hung up there. One from our first date and one picture was just of me. "Amazing I love them." I landed a kiss on her cheek

"Stunning" I said while my gaze settled on those perfectly shaped faces that looked ethereal.

Thinking about how I managed to win this jackpot. One day I'll need to put a ring on her finger. Trying not to get carried away by fiction of my imagination "But why one of the pictures is only of me? There should be more pictures of you." I continued to wrap my arms around her.

"No there should be more of yours." Cameron nudged her shoulder into Ezri's chest teasingly. Then paced back into the office. Slowly choosing the frame for the pictures. I like the cute face that she makes when she's focused. How she furrowed her eyebrows when she's lost in her work.

My eyes caught on a picture of her that I took on one of our little trips "Can I have this?" It was already framed. She took a glance and just 'mmm' and continued working on her little project. Not wanting to bother her, I just sat there in silence while I watched her do her magic.

The next day

My table was now filled with a few photos. One was the one we took together and another two was just of Cameron. Arranging them where it was visible only to my eyes, then Naomi walked around my desk and stood behind my chair "Wow I've never seen you put anyone's picture on your desk before." Naomi said while she noded in agreement.

Truth be told, I've never placed anyone's picture before not even Amelia's. This feelings that I had for Cameron was foreign, new and deeper. My lips tugged into a smile as I admired the photo of Cameron. Lost in my own emotions, I didn't realise I was smiling to myself.

"Ezri Wallace a changed woman." Naomi voiced out with a sigh. "She'll fight any God that so much as try to harm a hair on Cameron." What she said is true, I would in fact fight anyone, any God that so much so have a bad thought about her.

Few months later

Ezri's POV

There was this huge board meeting that all of us had to attend. We were all gathered outside the conference room for a short tea break. The hall was lined with high round tables draped with a black table cloth that allowed people to place their drinks and chat. Being the CEO, I moved from one table to another trying to strike up conversation with the team. I dreaded for the day to end, I wanted so much to see Cameron again. We've been together for a few months now but we have known each other for more than a year now.

She was awfully quiet today. We usually would send messages to-and-fro throughout the day. It's unusual for her to be this silent.

On my way moving from one table to another, my phone buzzed. It must be Cameron. I fiddled in my pocket to find my phone.

It was a message from an unknown number. Curiosity got the best of me, I opened the message.

My cup instantly fell from my loose grip. The hot coffee spilled on the floor and some got on my pants. The pain did not register, as my whole body was already numb. That second I saw the image, my heart plummeted to the ground. It was a picture of Cameron, tied up and her mouth was taped shut. Everything started pouring down like a ton of bricks. No, not her. It can't be.

The whole room seemed to buzz, everything was inaudible. My knee couldn't bear my weight anymore, I sank to the ground. It felt like lava was flowing down my face. I forgotten how to breathe properly now. My throat just cracked and went dry, it felt like sand paper.

My hand clenched into a fist until my knuckle turned white. Cameron. My Cameron.

Naomi's POV

I heard a sudden thud and when I turned around Ezri was already on the ground. Out of nowhere, she screamed. I never heard anyone scream like that before, it was almost demonic. I could hear the pure fear in her voice. I never knew a human was capable of making such sound. Ezri never broke in front of anyone, she never broke like this. It was so devastating that it made any heart break. She screamed until her voice broke.

Her hair covered her face, but I could see her shoulder moving with every sob. I rushed to her side, something was off.

"No..... no... no.." was all she uttered for the next few minutes. I held her trembling body, trying to make sense of the situation. Her voice was hoarse when she finally spoke "Help me Nomi. Please. We need to save her." Holding out the phone to me with her shaky hand. It was a picture of Cameron held hostage. I gasped at the sight of the image. My own breath turned uneven. It reminded me of what happened to Amelia. This could not happen to her again. Ezri could never recover from that. Trying to keep my own emotion in check, Ezri needs me now. "We'll find her."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: Remember when I apologised in advance in Chapter 26, that apology was actually for these few upcoming chapters.

To those who sensed it coming, you people have good senses.

To those who commented they loved the story, I'm truly sorry. I'd actually done writing the next few chapters a month back, I can't unwrite them. Again I'm sorry. The angst part is just starting...