Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Third's POV

Cameron could hear the alarm ringing in the background. Stretching every inch of her body trying to switch it off. She doesn't remember falling asleep but she remembered how Ezri carried her up. When she realised it, they were already half way up the stairs. Ezri froze in her steps and Cameron didn't want to frighten her and she didn't want Ezri to put her down so Cameron just pretended to be asleep. As soon as Cameron's body touched the bed, she was out like a light.

Cameron was still holding onto Ezri's jacket. She hoped the room was too dark for Ezri to realize that her jacket was on Cameron's bed. While Cameron was getting ready for work, she wondered why Ezri came home late last night, she knew Ezri had been drinking. Cameron could smell the tinge of alcohol in her breath.

Cameron has been working at Max's cafe for a month now and it's finally time for her first pay check. Cameron was so excited, she wanted to give it to Ezri. Cameron felt that she owed Ezri so much and she could finally pay her back. It was nowhere enough but it was something.

Cameron definitely grew closer with the team now. They had numerous outings, from grabbing dinner together to hanging out during their off days. Max had grown bolder in asking Cameron out like for dinner or to catch a movie together. They did have lunch twice, where they were only two of them. They kicked off quite well and Cameron does enjoy the company.

Hailey and Mia knew what was happening, it was obvious that Max saw Cameron in a different way. Despite that Cameron didn't seem to notice. She always sees him as a caring older brother and nothing more.

It was already near closing time, Cameron started to put the chairs on the table and arrange them to one side so they could clean the floor. Max found his way to Cameron "Hey Cam, I was wondering if you're free tonight? Maybe we could grab a celebratory drink? For completing your first month?" he looked eager for an answer with both of his hands to his back when he asked.

Hailey and Mia were already eyeing each other. They were also curious whether Cameron was going to give him chance. They never really had a deep conversation about love or anything too personal. They still didn't know about Cameron's past or how she felt about Ezri and Max.

Cameron gave Max an apologetic look "Sorry Max, I still have some school work to finish. Maybe next time?" Max did seem a little disappointed by her answer but 'next time' kept his hope up. Max just replied "No worries. Next time indeed."

Cameron didn't really have any important assignments, she just wanted to go home and give Ezri her pay check. To show her sincerity that she is grateful for everything that Ezri has given her.

Just after she was done cleaning, she greeted all of them goodnight and went home. Cameron been taking the bus home for over two weeks now. She didn't want to be seen getting picked up by Victor. She didn't want her friends to treat her differently or misunderstand her. All of these privileges weren't hers to begin with.

Cameron waited for Ezri again in the television room, watching whatever show seemed interesting. This time making sure she would not fall asleep on the couch again. Then she heard the main door open. Cameron immediately jumped out of the couch to greet her.

When Ezri stepped foot into the house, she was stretching her neck with her hand over it. It had been a long day for her. Ezri had to take care of some shady business and it didn't go as smoothly as it did the last time. Things got ugly and Ezri also joined the fight. She was not your typical leader who would just stand back and watch. Ezri believed that if you're willing to fight together with your team, they would be more loyal to you and have your back when you need it and vice versa.

Ezri had already expected things to turn out badly, so she dressed herself in all black. She managed to avoid any direct attacks to the face but she felt sore especially her back. After years of training and getting into fights, the pain didn't really bother her that much anymore and she sometimes barely feels it when she get bruises or cuts.

Judging by Ezri's tired face, Cameron just went to her and gave her a tight squeeze. Hoping that it would brighten up her day a little. Cameron happened to hug over some bruise or cut and it almost made Ezri winched but she held it in. Ezri just stood there at first but returned the hug a second later. "You okay? Anything happened?" Ezri slowly stroked the small of Cameron's back.

"No. You looked tired I just wanted to cheer you up a bit." Cameron buried her face deeper into Ezri's coat. Ezri let out a soft chuckle, and it did lighten her day. It is good to have someone who would comfort you with a hug after a long day, someone who knows you are tired even without uttering a word. Ezri felt her walls slowly breaking down, and letting Cameron's comfort sink in.

Cameron slowly released Ezri, then handed her pay check over to her "I wanted to give you this." Ezri opened up the piece of paper and realised what it was "Cam, there's no need..." Cameron placed her hand over Ezri's lips, her eyes widened by Cameron's daring move. "I won't accept no for an answer, I owe you too much. I know it's not much but it's my way of saying thank you. I'll be upset if you don't accept it." Cameron giving Ezri puppy eyes.

Ezri looked at her studiously, giving into those puppy eyes. "Okay." Slipping the check into her pocket. "It's late get some sleep." Ezri gave Cameron a weak smile before heading deeper into the house.