Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Cameron's POV

When we reached the entrance of the building, Ezri stopped dead in her tracks. I dragged her by the arm this time "You're soaking wet. Let's head in. I'm not going anywhere without you anymore"

Ezri was behind me the whole time while I pulled on her arm. I kept looking back making sure she was still there. Making sure this was not a dream, that it's really her. There was this awkwardness between us. I didn't understand what was holding me back. When we finally went through the doors, I realised how petit Ezri was. She lost weight, that made my heart ache.

"You've lost weight" I whispered quietly.

"I did?" I froze for a second, didn't expecting a reply from her. I let go of her arm as I walked towards the living room that was lit up by only the city lights that were refracted through the windows. I still couldn't understand why Ezri didn't want to confront me.

When I turned around I saw her struggling to get down the three steps stairs. It confused me for a bit, but then I recalled how the bottle plunged into her legs. She must be hurt. I quickly got to her side and helped her down the stairs. Why did Ezri always have to do things like this.

Third POV

Cameron slowly helped Ezri down the stairs. Ezri could already see Cameron's eyes glistening with tears. She felt like she shouldn't have followed Cameron here.

"I believed you were dead Ezri. Why didn't you come find me? Why didn't you tell me?" Cameron voice staggered as she said it and Ezri could hear the desperation in her voice.

Ezri just stared out of the window, a knot formed in her stomach "I can't... I don't know how."

"I love you Ezri! I still do! How could you do this to me!" Cameron's voice broke as she shouted at Ezri. Cameron just couldn't control how she felt anymore.

Ezri stared down at her leg and try her best to hold back tears. She hated seeing Cameron being like this. Ezri let out a long sigh "I didn't know how to face you." She said it more like a whisper.

"At least let me know you were still alive, even if you wanted to end things between us." Cameron said it like she had already given up.

Ezri took up all the courage to look at Cameron "I still love you. I still do. Believe me. I..." She cupped Cameron's face "I don't want to put you in danger anymore. Never again." Ezri was still scared that her heart would let out. She didn't want Cameron to know the truth. It wouldn't do any of them good Ezri thought.

Cameron still didn't understand why Ezri was still holding back. Ezri let go of Cameron and continued to stare out of the distance.

"Let's see your leg." Cameron tried to change the topic and started to approach Ezri. Ezri tried to pull back, but she was not quick enough.

"I'm fine." Ezri stuttered, but before she knew it Cameron was already kneeling, grabbing hold of her leg. Ezri's heart started to race, she's going to find out the truth.

When Cameron grabbed Ezri's leg, she felt something hard under her touch. No one's leg should be that hard. Cameron just yanked her pants, that's when she saw the prosthetic leg.

It hit Cameron all at once, it was the leg Liam shot. Cameron could feel her heart shred to bits and she fell to the floor. Cameron let out a gasp, and all the tears started to flow again. That explains why Ezri's gait was off. Cameron's heart cried out in sear pain, Ezri's life was ruined because of her. Cameron placed the blame on herself.

Ezri instantly went to the floor as well, seeing Cameron in that broken state. She couldn't bring herself to see Cameron like that. Ezri just embraced her and whispered beside her "It's okay. I'm okay. It's not your fault." Ezri kept on repeating those words until Cameron calmed down.