Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Third POV

The night Ezri drove off, she actually came back home around four in the morning. She quickly packed her duffle bag. On her way out, she clenched the envelope. Ezri didn't want Cameron to leave. She never wanted this to happen. It would be safer for Cameron, she convinced herself as she placed the envelope on her doorstep.

Ezri left the country for few days to clear her head. Hoping that escaping Thailand could help her run away from her problem as well. She switched off her cell phone making sure she was uncontactable. Chucking down whiskey like it was some sort of amnesia potion. It still didn't make her forget.

Naomi managed to track her down the day after Cameron came to visit her. Before she could fly to Singapore and drag Ezri's arse back to Thailand. Ezri finally picked up her phone

"Nomi I'm alright." Ezri was half-conscious when she answered the phone.

Naomi was practically shouting on the other end "EZRI WALLACE how could you just leave like that?!" Naomi knew that Ezri is in a bad place right now but that didn't give her to right to abandon everything and leave.

"I'll return tomorrow okay. Bye." Ezri just hung up. She didn't want to listen to Naomi's lecture. She's all fun and games but she could be such a mother if she started nagging.

3rd day of disappearance

When Ezri landed in Thailand, all the emotions started to intensify again. She really didn't want to head home. What if Cameron is still there? What if she starts asking question? What if she hates me? All these thoughts began to flood her mind.

Sinking back into her old habits, she went to the fight club with a bottle of whiskey she purchased in the duty-free section at the airport. Ezri still kept in contact with her training mates and she asked them to meet her at the same fight club. There were three of them and they were used to Ezri's random calls. None of them mind, because Ezri always paid them handsomely after every session.

As they arrived at the fight club, Ezri had already gone through half a bottle of whiskey and was already in the boxing ring doing shadow boxing. All of them headed to the locker room to get changed and ready their equipment.

One of them was aware of what Ezri went through. He had history with Naomi and he heard some of Ezri's story from Naomi. He was worried about Ezri's flare up and quickly texted Naomi 'Ezri called us. Same place.' All he got for a reply was 'Ok'.

When they finally stepped out of the locker room "All at once." Ezri said.

They just stood there looking at each other. The guys never all fight Ezri at once. Usually they will take turns to spare. This time Ezri was literally asking to get beat up. None of them attacked, all of them just stood still.

Ezri laughed "Let's have some fun then." she threw the first punch. They held back at first but Ezri was uncontrollable. She kept throwing insults and not long after their fists did all the talking for them.

Naomi ran towards the gym and when she got there, Ezri was already on the ground. Blood stained the corner of her lips. Red punched marks could be seen on Ezri's ribs. Naomi quickly ran towards her direction. The guys had it bad as well, they didn't look any better than Ezri.

"Why the hell did you guys need to hit her so badly." Naomi said through the gritting of her teeth.

One of the guys that was icing his neck spoke "She's the one who told all of us to beat her up."

"Let's go again" Ezri grunted out as she tried to stand but her knees gave out. "No you're going home." Naomi told her off. Before Ezri could protest, Naomi already threw Ezri over her shoulder and carried her out.

Cameron's POV

I was in my room, still looking at my phone. Hoping Ezri would call or Naomi have news about her. I've been out of work for three days now. I just can't face anyone's questioning right now. Especially not Hailey.

Suddenly the door swung ajar. It's Naomi she was carrying someone over her shoulder. Adjusting to the light, I realised it was Ezri. Naomi walked into the room and threw Ezri on the bed alongside a first aid kit. Ezri was bloodied and her ribs were covered with bruises. Even from a distance, I could smell the alcohol on her.

"You stay here and listen to her." Naomi pointing a finger at Ezri as she said it. Like talking to a kid. "And you take care of her." Naomi looking at me. I felt like there was no room for discussion so I just nodded.

As she was about to step out "No one leaves this room until you guys settle whatever is happening between you guys. Period."

"Nomi you wouldn't dare!" Ezri shouted as she tried to get up.

"Watch me!" Naomi quickly shut the door and I heard ruffling sound outside. Did she just locked us in.

Why does she always have to come back bloodied and bruised? Can't we have a normal human conversation. It was like routine, I took a clean cloth and started cleaning her. Ezri tried to push me away at first, but she was so drunk. She didn't have the strength to protest.

As the seconds ticked, the silence grew louder. "It's not fair that you just left like that." I said while cleaning her wounds. "How could you be so oblivious about my feelings for you."

I searched for the antiseptic and placed it on a q tip before slowly applying it on the corner of her lips. "I don't feel the same way." Ezri said and she was still not looking at me. It felt like a punch in the guts when she said it. How could she.

She pushed herself up from the bed "We can't be together." Ezri holding herself up with both her arms.

I let out a frustrated breath "I don't believe you." I knelt down, making sure we were at eye level "No, look me in the eyes when you say it."

Ezri met my eyes "I...." she stuttered and she got caught on her own breath "I love you alright! I love you!" Ezri looked up onto the ceiling, trying to hold back tears. It must be the alcohol making her bold. "You don't understand how much I love you. If you wanted the moon, the stars, anything. I would do everything in my power to get it for you. If you love someone else, I would let you go. Your happiness comes before mine. That's how much I love you. But I can't risk you being with me."

When she said those words, it felt like finally a weight was lifted off from my heavy heart. But it still felt sad.

I cupped Ezri's face "But it's you who I want. I want no one else."

"I can't. Because.." tear slip through "because of Amelia. She died because of the things I did, things I failed to do. She died because I failed to protect her, because I was in love with her. I can't let you face that as well." More tears followed and she kept her head down.

I leaned my forehead on hers "I'm not afraid of being with you."

Her hands slowly found mine and pushed her head against mine "I'm the one who's afraid. You're my last straw. If anything happens to you, I don't think I could take it. I won't be able to survive it."

I gave her a light kiss "Nothing is going to happen to me. I want you Ez. And I'll take you with whatever baggage you're hurdling. I don't care." Her hands slowly found my cheek and she caressed them before landing in another soft kiss. She just nodded and tears strolled down her cheeks.

After cleaning all her wounds and she changed into clean clothes. She buried herself in me as I embraced her. We didn't do anything that night, we just laid in each other's arms.