Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Cameron's POV

Ezri didn't bring up things that happened that night in her studies. Maybe she really was asleep and thought it was just a dream. Did she want that night to happen? I didn't want to make things awkward between us so I decided to act like nothing happened. Ezri was out of town for a few days. I didn't want to bother her too much with texts and calls since it was a business trip.

Days gone by I still think about that night, the smell of her hair when I kissed her forehead. The way her curled brunette hair fell over her face. The softness of her cheek, those dimples that deepened after I pulled away. I couldn't stop thinking about her.

"Cam...." I snapped out of my day dream, finding Max standing in front of me. "Yes Max. Anything I could help with?" Straightening my apron and trying to look attentive.

Max placed both his hands behind his back "I'm wondering if you're free for dinner tonight?" Ezri was not back in town yet, and I needed to clear things out with Max "Sure, after work?" No harm going out for dinner right?

"Yes. Sounds like a date!" Max hurried away into his office before I could explain that it wasn't a date, quite the opposite really. Mia was already shaking her head behind the counter. I could hear her voice echo inside my head 'you're in deep shit girl'.

We closed up rather early today, around 7 at night. Max and I were already in the car on our way to dinner. I didn't bother going home and dressing up. When we reached the place, the restaurant looked quite pricey located on the top floor of the building. The waitress led us to a private dining room, and it had a beautiful view of the city. I felt underdressed as I was only wearing a white oversized shirt with denim shorts.

Max pulled out a chair for me and I had no choice but to sit. "You didn't need to bring us to such a fancy place. You know I'm fine with any food, even street food." I said to Max. I felt terrible about spending his money.

Max took a seat in front of me "I told you I was going to buy you dinner to celebrate you joining us." I just smiled and nodded, didn't know how to respond to that.

Few moments later, the waitress came in with food. It's those expensive food that had a big heavy plate but a very teeny tiny dish in the middle with splatter of sauce at the side. Max must have ordered beforehand.

Dinner went by quickly, with Max initiating most of the conversation. I just listened to him talk, chimed in every now and then. Before we knew it, both of our plates were empty. Max excused himself, I just stared out of the window. Thinking how am I supposed to tell Max that I don't see him that way.

When Max returned he was holding a bouquet of red roses and he walked towards me "I like you for a while now Cam. I don't know if you've noticed it. I really like you and I would like to bring our friendship to another level." Mia and Hailey were right. He did think of us that way, and I didn't clear things up with him which led us to this day.

I stood up and took his hand "Thank you for liking me. I really appreciate your feeling for me." I took a deep breath, mustering up the courage to continue "but I don't see you that way. I always see you as an elder brother."

I could see the smile fall from his face, the flowers he was holding now fell to his side. "I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship." I gave him a light squeeze before letting go of his hand.

He quickly grabbed my hand "Can't we try? Can't you give me a chance?" I could see the pleading look in his eyes. I felt really bad for letting him feel this way. If I agreed, I would just be playing with his emotions. I really didn't have any romantic feelings for him.

"I'm sorry. I don't think I can look at you that way and...." Unsure if I should say it "I think I already like someone else." Keeping my voice quieter this time.

He let go of my hand and moved back to his seat "It's Ezri isn't it?" I didn't know what he would do if he knew. I didn't want to break his heart anymore so I just stayed silent. I grabbed my bag "Thank you for dinner. It was lovely. I better go." And I just left.

I didn't want to stay there any longer. I didn't know how to consult him or how to even face him. It's better if I just left. I took the bus home. The whole ride home, I was flooded with guilt. I hope I didn't hurt him too badly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: I'm sorry for another short chapter. Will upload again later in the day cause I'm excited for you guys to read chapter 26 tomorrow :)