{3} THE VANISHING GLASS

At the London Zoo, the Dursley family is in the reptile house, looking at a large Boa constrictor

Dudley: Make it move.
Vernon taps the glass of the cage.
Vernon: Move!
Dudley taps the glass much harder, and Vernon nervously winces.
Dudley: MOVE!
Mia: He's asleep! leave him alone!
Dudley: He's boring.

"I freaking hate them," Mia muttered to herself, a mix of anger and frustration evident in her voice. Ron and Hermione heard her and shook their hand.

"You're not alone."

The both struggled to find words that could adequately express the depth of their emotions towards the Dursleys. The mistreatment she both had endured had left a lasting impact, leaving her with a strong sense of resentment and disgust towards them.

Dudley and his parents head over to another enclosure. Mia are left with the snake.
Harry: Sorry about him. He doesn't understand what it's like, lying there day after day, having people press their ugly faces in on you. [She giggled]. The snake looks up and winks.

Many in the room were left stunned by the unexpected sight of the snake seemingly winking at the Potter, as if urging her to speak up. This peculiar occurrence added a touch of intrigue to the already tense atmosphere. Whispers and murmurs filled the air as people exchanged surprised glances, unsure of what to make of this unusual interaction between Mia and the snake.

Mia: Can you...hear me? [The snake nods] It's just...I've never talked to a snake before. Do you...I mean...do you talk to people often?

The students and teachers who were already aware of Mia's ability to speak to snakes were not surprised by the interaction. However, Remus, Sirius, the Ministry officials, Lucius, and Narcissa were shocked to witness this unique ability.

[The snake shakes its head] You're from Burma, aren't you? Was it nice there? Do you miss your family? [The snake turns its head in the direction of a sign which says, Bred in Captivity] I see. That's me as well. I never knew my parents, either.

Despite the prior knowledge of Mia's difficult circumstances, a wave of sadness washed over everyone in the room as they were reminded of the lonely and harsh childhood she had endured, surrounded by people who held such animosity towards her. The empathy for their situation stirred emotions of compassion and sympathy among those present, as they imagined the pain and isolation she must have felt throughout her entire childhood. The weight of their collective sadness hung in the air, reflecting their collective desire to support and offer solace to her in any way they could.

The now awake snake has attracted Dudley's attention. He comes over to the glass, knocking Mia to the floor. She glared at him.

As the scene played out on the screen, the room filled with a collective display of disdain and anger towards Dudley. Glares and shouts erupted, expressing the intense dislike and frustration that everyone felt towards her cousin.

Dudley: Mummy, dad, come here! You won't believe what this snake is doing!
Dudley puts his hands on the glass wall. With his back turned, Mia glares at him. Suddenly, the glass disappears, causing Dudley to wretch forward, losing his balance.
Dudley: Whoa! Ahh! Ahh!!
Dudley falls into the snake enclosure, sputtering in a pool of water. Mia snickers at what she saw. The snake gets out of the exhibit, stopping in front of Mia Potter.

The room was filled with laughter and joy as the students and teachers found amusement in the scene playing out on the screen. Sirius couldn't help but laugh, tears welling up in his eyes, while Remus observed the scene with a sense of pride in the younger generation.

"That's hilarious." Ron joined in the laughter, applauding with excitement.

"I completely agree." as Hermione expressed her agreement and praised the Potter. The proud smiles on Mia faces showed their satisfaction with their whimsical display of magic.

"Good job, Potter."

"Can you teach me how you did it?" Colin, fascinated by their abilities, eagerly asked.

Mia thought for a second and shook his head. She both turned to look at Colin and as Mia smiled sadly she said; "I think it happened on accident, don't remember how I did it."

"Like accidental magic."

The atmosphere in the room remained light and cheerful, with genuine camaraderie and shared excitement over the magical display.

Snake: Thanksss.
Mia: Anytime.
The snake slivers off to the exit.
Man: SNAKE!
There is a lot of people screaming throughout the reptile house as the snake heads for freedom. Dudley gets up to get out, but the glass is now back over the enclosure. Seeing that he is now trapped, he pounds the glass in panic.
Dudley: Mum, mummy!
Petunia: [notices him in the exhibit] AHH!

The hall erupted in laughter as Dudley found himself trapped and panicking in the situation unfolding before them. The comedic nature of his predicament was undeniable, causing amusement and mirth to fill the room. The sight of his distress, coupled with the absurdity of the situation, created a humorous spectacle that was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone present. Laughter echoed through the hall, creating a jovial atmosphere as they found humor in the comical misfortune befalling Dudley.

Dudley: Mum, help! Help me!
Petunia: My darling boy! How did you get in there?! How did you get in there? Dudley, oh, Dudley!
Mia grins and snickers, Vernon notices this and glares down at her. Mia grin disappears.

As the Slytherin students who held disdain for the Potter family witnessed the events unfolding on the screen, a sense of satisfaction filled the air. Their smirks portrayed a shared belief that the beloved hero would inevitably face punishment for her actions. Draco and Blaise exchanged glances, each sporting a smug expression, relishing the prospect of witnessing the Potters' comeuppance.

"It's going to be fun watching her getting punished." He whispered to him.

Draco nodded his head and turned to watch the screen.

Meanwhile, Remus, ever concerned for his goddaughter's well-being, sought reassurance from Mia. His worry evident in his voice, he inquired whether they had caused her any harm.

"Tell me they didn't do anything bad to you." Remus asked his Goddaughter with concern.

Mia looked at Remus and sighed. "I-I don't remember." She lied.

However, Remus, perceptive of Mia's lie, sensing her distress, gently clasped her hand, offering comfort and support. The tight grip on her hand served as an unspoken gesture of solidarity, signifying that he believed in her and would stand by her side, no matter the circumstances.