{50} TALKING TO CORNELIUS FUDGE

[Mia trails tom through the quiet room

[Mia trails tom through the quiet room. the bartender glances up, his gaze lingering perhaps a bit too long. a solitary wizard reads a book while, at his elbow, his coffee cup stirs itself.]

Quiet gasps of "Wow" could be heard in the room, each whispered in awe, as if the spectators couldn't contain their admiration for what they were witnessing.

[Tom leads Mia upstairs. as Mia follows tom inside, she finds hedwig perched atop a chair.]
Mia: Hedwig!
Tom: Right smart bird you've got there, Miss. Potter. Arrived only minutes before yourself. [a man clears his throat. Mia turns, finds a pinstriped silhouette AKA Cornelius Fudge at the window,]

Mia rolled her eyes at the screen. Meanwhile Fudge widen his eye at his sudden appearance and began to retouch his hair.

[staring at the ghostly shadows beyond. Mia reflection shivers in the glass, but the man doesn't turn. tom takes a position against the wall, fishes a pair of walnuts from his pocket and -- crack -- crushes the shells between his palms.]
Fudge: I should tell you, Miss. Potter, earlier this evening your uncle's sister was located just south of Sheffield, circling a chimney stack. The Accidental Magic Reversal Department was dispatched and she's been properly punctured and her memory modified. She has no recollection of the incident whatsoever.

"That's good," Remus nodded in agreement with Fudge's decision, his tone calm and understanding.

Sirius turned to him with an intense gaze. "No, it's not good! He should've left her memory intact, so next time she'll think twice before messing with my daughter."

Mia and her friends burst into laughter at Sirius's protective outburst, but Mia's amusement quickly turned into a moment of sad reflection. As she gazed at Sirius, a single tear escaped her eye, moved by the unexpected depth of his words as he referred to her as his 'daughter.'

[Mia waits. A man condemned. Then Fudge turns.]
Fudge: So that's that, and no harm done.(smiling) Pea soup? [Mia glances warily from the steaming tureen of green to Tom, who works a grimy thumb into his gum, frees a walnut sliver.]
Mia: No thank you. Minister... I don't understand. I broke the law. Underage wizards aren't allowed to use magic at home --

"Are you trying to get in trouble?" Ron eyed Mia skeptically, his brows furrowed in disbelief. The air around them was charged with tension, evident in the concerned looks of the others as they observed the exchange.

"I was genuinely confused!" Mia protested, her voice tinged with a hint of exasperation.

Fudge: [Dishing up a bowl] Oh, come now, Mia. The Ministry doesn't send people to Azkaban for blowing up their aunts! On the other hand... running away like that... given the state of things... very, very irresponsible.
Mia: 'The state of things' sir?
Fudge: We have a killer on the loose.
Mia: Sirius Black, you mean. But...  what's that got to do with me? [CRACK! Tom shatters another walnut. Fudge smiles nervously.]

"Apparently, everything. But he didn't think it would be a good idea to tell me about it," Mia muttered softly, her tone tinged with frustration. Her words didn't go unnoticed, catching the ear of McGonagall, Remus, and Sirius, who exchanged concerned glances, their brows furrowing in unison.

"Who told you, then?" Remus asked with a furrowed brow, his worry evident in his voice as he tried to piece together the puzzle.

"Mr. Weasley did," Mia replied, her voice carrying a sense of reassurance that calmed Remus's initial concern almost instantly.

The tension in the room eased as the realization sank in that the information had come from a trusted source, not from a dubious source like a former Death Eater or a stranger in an alley. Mia's words brought a sense of relief to everyone present.

Fudge: Hm? Oh, nothing. You're safe, that's what matters.

"And you obviously knew that he's lying to you, right Mia?" Hermione's voice carried a note of concern, her brow furrowed as she waited for Mia's response.

"Yes, Hermione, I knew," Mia affirmed, her tone steady.

Fudge: Tomorrow you'll be on your way to Hogwarts.

"Oh, thank Merlin," those closest to Mia breathed out in relief, their expressions softening with reassurance.

Mia's smile widened at the realization that they genuinely cared for her, her heart warmed by their support and concern.

Fudge: These are your new schoolbooks. I took the liberty of having them brought here for you. [Mia eyes the stacks of books. One is bound by a rope.] By the way, Mia. Whilst you're here it would be best if you didn't... wander.

"Might as well just tell her to wander," Hermione remarked, shaking her head with a fond smile as she recalled Mia's tendency to seek out adventure at every turn, unable to resist the call of the unknown.

"Yeah, she tends to do that," Ron agreed, a hint of exasperation mingling with affection in his voice, a testament to the countless times Mia had led them on daring escapades filled with excitement and mischief.

"A lot!" Hermione chimed in with a chuckle, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she shared in the lighthearted teasing of their adventurous friend.

"Hey!" Mia exclaimed, a playful glint in her eyes as she feigned mock offense, her laughter infectious as she embraced the playful banter with her companions.

"It's the harsh truth, Mia, live with it," Hermione teased, her words softened by a warm smile that conveyed the deep bond of camaraderie they shared, built on years of shared experiences and mutual understanding.

"Still, don't like the two of you teaming up on against me." Mia retorted in jest, her pout melting into a grin as she playfully challenged her friends, the light-hearted exchange drawing smiles from onlookers who enjoyed witnessing the genuine camaraderie among the group.

As the spectators in the Hall exchanged knowing glances and shared laughs, their anticipation for the next scene heightened, eager to continue immersing themselves in the enchanting world unfolding before them.