{28} LECTURE WITH LOCKHART

[The next day, the second year students are in the Herbology greenhouses as Professor Sprout enters

[The next day, the second year students are in the Herbology greenhouses as Professor Sprout enters.]

"That's the best class ever," Neville said, his face lit up with genuine enthusiasm.

"Thank you, Mr. Longbottom," Professor Sprout replied, her face beaming with pride and warmth as she acknowledged Neville's compliment.

Professor Sprout: Good morning, everyone.
Students: Good morning, Professor Sprout.
Professor Sprout: Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years. Now, gather around, everyone. Today, we're going to repot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root? [Hermione raises her hand] Yes, Miss Granger.

Mia and Ron chuckled knowingly, sharing a moment of shared amusement before Mia addressed Hermione. "Of course you know, Hermione," she teased.

Hermione: Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it.

"What's the point of this plant?" Draco scoffed.

Professor Sprout: Excellent, ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection, so if you could please put them on right away. [the students start putting them on] Quickly, flaps tight down. [they all have their earmuffs on] Now, watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot. Got it? And now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm. [Neville falls to the floor] Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs.

Chuckles were once again heard around the room as Neville blushed, a small smile playing on his face. The lighthearted moment brought some levity to the tense atmosphere, offering a brief respite from the surrounding apprehension and providing a shared experience of camaraderie among the group.

Seamus: No, ma'am, he's just fainted.
Professor Sprout: Yes, well... just leave him there. Right, on we go. Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it up.
[The students all do so. Draco plays with his Mandrake, causing it to bite his finger.]

The atmosphere in the room was filled with laughter and chuckles as everyone, excluding Draco, his friends, Pansy, Blaise, his parents, and Godfather, found amusement in the depiction of Draco on screen.

[Later that day, Nearly Headless Nick is floating down a Hogwarts corridor.]
Student: There's Nearly Headless Nick.
Nearly Headless Nick: Hello, Percy, Miss Clearwater. [doffs his head like a hat]
Percy: Hello, Sir Nicholas. [Nearly Headless Nick turns into the Great Hall. At the Gryffindor table, Ron is trying to tape his broken wand back together.]
Ron: Say it, I'm doomed.