Prologue

------------
Disclaimer; this scene contains violence do not read if you're sensible. Enjoy your reading >-<

------------

That is it. They left, finally. I shivered due to the coldness of the shore, tears poured out of my eyes. Relief was all I felt. We were free. In the crowd of former slaves stood warriors covered in dust, wounds and blood. Rugs constituted the sole cloth that covered them. I fought with all my might, my body was strained from any stamina I have. I halted terribly.

Cheerful cries echoed in the mass. I was on the verge of losing conscience, I had multiple wounds that would need to be taken care of. Shaw hugged me so hard against his torso I felt my breath struggle to escape through my lungs, "We did it Kaya! We're free!" Shaw beamed with his childish frame.

"Yeah! No one can do harm to us now!" someone shouted with relief in the crowd.

When he pulled me back, I noticed something strange. Jellal. He held an expression I couldn't place my finger on. I thought of his comrade who he claimed was a traitor. She destroyed the ships that were supposed to lead us to our motherland. Which nobody saw in ages.... Our hopes shattered at this point, but Jellal helped us through the battle and we succeeded.

"We won't ever have to suffer!" claimed fiercely the marked boy before the mass. 

Had I known who he was, I would've fled the island swimming away. If only I knew how to swim. But I shook off the weird feeling I had and clapped happily as everyone else. We were alive, together and we'll get through this.

However, something was off. Wouldn't you be upset by the loss of your friend? Jellal grinned as he stared at our tormentors corpses. Sensing my eyes on him, the young mage turned to glare at me with a weird expression. It couldn't be him. I shuddered. But remained neutral.

His feet advanced towards me, and he took me by the forearm. Being way smaller and younger than him, I stood mute yet perplexed. His fingers pressed my arm tighter. Gradually, fear mounted inside my tiny chest, while his hand tightened on my limb.

'Jellal, Jellal! You hurt me!' I shouted, trying to free myself from his grasp.

"Shut up" he said, not sparing me a glance. I was forced into dark alleys and an unknown part of the island, it looked exactly like my old cells, even worse than it, and I panicked catching the sight of rusty bars. I fought with all my might to avoid that path. The prisoners all heard of what the end of the hallway offered. I moved even more desperately. Dark memories sprang inside my head as warnings not to be taken lightly.

"What do you want? I will do anything you ask! Anything! Please! JELLAL!"

We ended in front of a large door, his hand pushed the hatch. It was a windowless room, only a chair stood in the center of the room. He made me sit against my will, closing the gate behind us. Slowlt a smirk grew on his lips. An evil grin that haunted my memories.

All at once, a whip appeared in his hands. Another set of tears left my vision. I shook my head. "What is going on! Jellal! I did nothing wrong! Did I?!"

This time, the blue-haired boy smirked. "You are right, but you won't stay here, dear!" He paused, then whipped my legs for the first time. The pain arose suddenly and I yelled. "After what I saw, I can't leave you alive!" Strike after strike, he beat me. My voice couldn't hoarse any more.

Soon enough, what seemed to be hours turned into days. Then the days felt like weeks or even months. It must have been months in here. The evil ceiling He would visit every once in a while to distract himself, and I couldn't tell when was the last time I saw the sun to his great content. How I wished deeply to feel sunlight on my skin. We thought the suffering was over with the slave-owners gone. But what took over revealed itself to be far more rotten.

"Please! Let me... let me go, I won't say .... I won't say anything about here! For ... for the sake... the sake of ... of a .. your little sister..." I muttered in a low raspy voice since I was dehydrated.

My words must have mattered, as something slightly snapped into Jellal's face. Too exhausted to tell, tears pursued their way on my reddened cheeks.

The next thing I knew was that the boy howled in pain and something heavy fell on my head before I blacked out.

Laxus' pov:

This mission was pointless! We, the Thunder God Tribe and I, were to defeat a black guild near Akane. Freed and Ever' would have handled it perfectly without my help. The guys were hanging on the beach and I needed a stroke alone to prepare for the train we would have to take to return to Magnolia. I'm bored. I hate Gramps for taking us so lightly, we deserve better...

I hope the old guy will select me for the S-class exam this year.

"Laxus? Is everything okay?" asked Freed after leaving Ever and Bickslow doing sandcastles on the beach. The long-haired guy seemed intrigued by my reflection time. I shrugged, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Nothing, I was thinking of how boring this mission was. If at least I could call it a mission..." I sighed. The green mage clapped, and his face brightened,

"That's my Laxus! The most beautiful! The most powerful mage! Of fairy tail! No, no! Of all mages!"

I snorted amused. Freed could seem cold at first sight, yet he warmed up a lot when people learned to spend time with him, same went for Ever. Bickslow, well... he was Bickslow weird, but way more sociable than his peers.

We were ready to go back to them when something caught my eye. Well... after more observing, anyone could tell it was someone. "Freed you see him? There?"

The mage frowned at the body lying on the shoreline, "A castaway?"

Approaching it, the body looked more of a child than an adult. I took out my jacket, covering the infant with it. "Call Ever and Bickslow we have to take care of him." The child was surrounded by dust, and something way worse became visible to our eyes.

"Is it...?" asked Freed from my side. I inspected it and nodded.

On his legs sat huge cuts and bruises, staring at it, the body held all types of scars. Enfolding the small human in my jacket, I carried the small frame carefully. "How could someone hurt a child that deep?"

"I don't know, but we have to provide him with treatment." I stated. Not far away, Bickslow and Ever appeared running to Laxus. Both frowned at the toddler being rocked in the demon slayer's arms.

"Who is it?" demanded Bickslow.

"We don't know" answered Freed "We have found him wounded and unconscious in the shoreline."

"Hmm... guys, she is definitely a girl..." pointed out Ever a bit perplexed, then growing worried. "We should bring her to the guild. Polyusica will heal her."

Without objection, the group rushed to the train station, and Laxus' motion sickness felt somewhat better than before. He fell asleep, pressing the girl closer to him to bring her temperature up. His comrades demonstrated a blissful grin at the scene. None of them had ever seen Laxus take so much consideration for strangers apart from themselves. But they all wondered where the feeble soul in the cabin was before encountering their leader. 

------------

------------

Thanks reader to give a chance to this story: to explain the chronology: the story takes place 6 years before Lucy joins the guild.