Ch8 Discovery of the Light spirit

------------

When I woke up, I found my body petrified under bed sheets. "You're finally awake!" claimed cheerily, a warm voice placing a hand on my forehead. "You scared me, you know."

I blinked multiple times for my eyes to focus, only to see Mira waiting at the side. I grimaced and forced myself to sit up.

"Take it easy. Your body was drained from energy." An old familiar hag informed me, pissed. "You brat couldn't take it easy!" I shrank in the bed, shameful. "I'm sorry, Mira, Polyusica."

"You better be! You slept for three days. Your friends started to worry sick!" Mirajane smiled when the elder stormed out of the room.

"I'm happy you're okay now." she told me, comforting.

I felt even worse, recalling the promise I broke. "I'm sorry Mirajane, I did break your promise." Her arms motioned to me, unexpectedly a warm embrace surrounded my shoulders. My limbs melted away on the ground, and I eased.

Breaking from the embrace, Mira's pleasing perfume of jasmine filled my nose. "You did everything you could to protect the guild, and I thank you for that. But, in the future, I want you to take care of yourself before anyone else, okay? At least, try to do that."

I agreed silently. After that, Mira shared with me how the Phantom Lord was defeated. It was dissolved by the High Council soon after they heard of the ruckus. Most of the powerful mages disappeared into thin air. The guild master too, apparently. Master Makarof had to plead in front of the High Mages. Fortunately, he had to pay a small amount of money for Magnolia's reconstruction. The guild was currently under construction. But everything turned back to normal pretty smoothly.

Some months have passed since the Phantom Lord's war. Kaya found the return of the celestial mage comforting. Lucy was still bitter because of her father's reckless act. To a point, she'd herself go to her old estate to confront him. Coming back home as Lucy said, she regained her normal aura, positive and appeasing joy that fit her. However, Kaya noticed the slight change of behavior of one of her guild-mates. Lucy was more at ease than usual.

The light-mage scanned the room in search of Loki. The mage has avoided the guild even more since Lucy's arrival. Spotting around the crowd at night, just after Lucy's departure to her flat. The young sorceress got closer to Loki and smiled, offering him a treat. Using her innocent frame to her advantage, she rolled closer to the table. "Why do you avoid the guild lately?"

His body jolted at the comment. Confirming Kaya's hunch, she raised her pinky, winking at him. "Don't worry, you can tell me! I know how to keep a secret!"

Loki hesitated, could he trust her to shut up about it? He knew she would probably raise suspicions of all their friends, so he led her to a secluded park. 

"Huh Loki? You won't kill me and leave me here, right?" Loki chuckled at the thoughts of the girl. So young yet impressive. Her way of thinking made him amused and less tense. He sat on a bench facing a marvelous fountain where angels poured water. The moon was full and no one was present there at this late hour.

"So, what is happening, Loki?" her voice interrogated in a composed tone. He frowned, not knowing how the teen would react. His hands rubbed his neck, embarrassed. His gaze lowered to the ground. The atmosphere stood heavy for him. And Loki was truthfully exhausted. To keep up the act was a tough play. He looked into Kaya's deep blue eyes; and began to talk:

"I'm going to die." 

Kaya's eyes widened in utter shock. "What do you mean by that? You are sick? Or threatened?" Loki's sad smile broadened in front of her suggestions. He disapproved.

"I'm going to disappear."

"That doesn't make any sense!" replied the young girl, who grimaced. "Why would you disappear like that!?" She jumped up onto her seat in annoyance, not understanding the situation. Loki took a deep breath before opening his mouth.

"I'm not human, Kaya." Her eyebrows furrowed.

 "You, you are not human? As in a supernatural creature?" The boy laughed hard.

"No more like a spirit." He let the truth out and much to Kaya's surprise.

Her grimace worsened, "As in the spirit keys' Lucy collections?!!"

"Well, yes." he confirmed. To his amazement, confessing his dark fate to her soothed him. Without knowing, Kaya helped greatly ease the old spirit's conscience. The girl sat concerned before turning to him.

"How come you're going to die? I thought spirits were like... immortals?" Loki grinned even more. Kaya's choices of words remained astounding, the least he could say. She was clumsy with words, but she was still a child in his eyes.

"I lived without a contractor for too long now, and I'm bound to disappear. My body holds no more strength." The girl put her hand on his in an attempt to appease his mind.

"So you basically need a contractor to stay alive?" He nodded. Kaya beamed. "Then we have a solution! You can ask Lucy to contract you so that you can stay alive!"

Loki's face darkened, and he lost the joy he gained back. "It's not that easy, you know."

"How come?" Kaya asked. "I did something terrible..." he faced her with frightened features. "I killed someone, Kaya."

She said nothing and rubbed his hand to calm his nerves. He took the time to recollect his thoughts, and then he started to tell her all the story; "Karen was my last contractor. She had two keys of the zodiac out of the twelve. Me, Loki and Aries. It was hell. She was sadistic and hurt us both badly. I would take most beatings to protect Aries. But one day, she decided to hurt more. And fearing that she would kill Aries, I took action... I killed her." He paused to look at Kaya dead in the eye.

"Aries was innocent, so her key remained intact. But mine, mine broke at the second my hands were stained with the blood of Karen. When a spirit kills its master, he is banned from the celestial realm, condemned to live a bit freely to die miserably... even if I made a contract with Lucy, the Celestial King wouldn't want me back there."

Kaya stood silent, tears fell from her cheeks as she understood all the beating parts, and she just hugged him tightly. The roles were reversed and Loki had to calm the poor girl. "I'm sorry." she sneezed so unladylike, Her face was red from the outburst.

Going serious, Loki questioned, "Promise me you won't say a word." She fluttered, rubbing the corners of her sleepy eyes.

"No."

"No?"

"You heard me. I won't let you disappear alone." she decided childishly. "It's either I talk to Lucy about the situation as she seeks so much to become your friend, or... you go talk to Lucy on your own."

She raised from her seat and stuttered in the cold breeze of the night. "I will never let a member of my family endure this all alone." she promised. "Good night Loki." The young mage stepped away from the small park on her way to go home, impatient to enjoy the comfort of her bed-sheets. 

------------

------------

Of course this chapter was mandatory for the following and yes there will be the arc of the tower of Heaven. Sorry for those who can't stand that arc. Otherwise I suggest you to wait for chapter 12. 

I hope you enjoy don't hesitate to give your impressions.