Ch21 Visiting, but not meeting

------------

Kaya jumped in the first train the following day, she wasn't supposed to work tonight so she had the entire day to visit Magnolia. Her stomach tightened, fiddling with her fingers, thoughts flew relentlessly in her head. She knew her comrades wouldn't recognize her. Seven years had passed already, she was 20 years old. She felt even more embarrassed knowing her guild mates did not age during that time span from Ultear's information.

Digging in her bag, Kaya caught her small portable mirror. Inspecting one last time, her appearance. Her pale skin still showed freckles, her hair grew to her lower back, falling into defined shiny waves, she braided half of her hair to free her face from the streaks. Her innocent blue eyes checked in the reflection of her glass. Her appearance being fixed, she put it back in her bag.

"Next stop, Magnolia."

Straightening the wrinkles of her dress sundress, the wizard got up on her feet. Her sweaty hands wiped against the light green fabric of her cloth. Never had she ever been so anxious.

Hesitant to get to land on her feet on Magnolia, she was almost pushed by the other travelers. Apologizing quietly, she hurried to the exit of the train station. It has been ages but she still could find directions in her beloved city.

The sun blinded her sight before she could glimpse at Magnolia's architecture. It was more modest than Crocus, but it held more cherished memories. Strolling near the end of the canals, she was cut in her throat by a little girl selling flowers from her basket.

"Excuse me, miss?" The little girl grinned innocently. "Do you want to buy me roses?" Kaya bowed to her, taking out of her purse some jewels to pay the girl.

"Is it enough to buy them all?" she verified, before giving another silver coin in her hand.

"Madam! I can't take that much!"

Kaya laughed amused, "It was Miss, and Madam now? How old do you think I am?". Bewildered, the child hid the money in her pocket and wrapped the big bouquet of pinkish roses. The favorite of the angelic mage.

"Thank you, angel. Can I ask you the path to Fairy Tail's guild?" she interrogated. The child beamed at Kaya,

"Miss! You are a mage?" Kaya put a finger on her lips to quieten her.

The tip of her finger emitted a faint light, golden particles appeared, gathering to form a moving butterfly in the air. Sensing a silver bracelet pulsing on her wrist, the butterfly vanished immediately. She did not want to break her hiding device. Ultear offered the jewel to conceal her aura. Any mage would tell she had no magic thanks to that. But even those handful tools have their limits...

"It's a secret between us, okay?" she winked at the girl whose eyes brightened in excitement.

"I want to be like you when I'm older!" the infant beamed before marching out of sight. Kaya sighed with a cold voice. "Believe me, you don't want to be me."

Her gaze darted on her bracelet, she thought of removing it to meet Fairy Tail. Reflecting hardly on the matter, she decided to firstly reach the guild doors beforehand. Her ascension to Magnolia's Hills was short and silent. Her sandals clacked on the stone ground. Advancing closer to Fairy Tail, her ears perceived the laughter of her old friends, she could imagine the brawls, and the beers of the early morning.

Feeling unwell, she stopped her pace, looking downed. Do I really want to do this? She dreaded the explanation, the pitiful looks of her friends when she'll reveal what happened for seven years. What if everyone forgot about her? What if no one waited for her there? Was she ready to face Makao who expelled her? Will she be ready to live back in Magnolia?

Tons of questions hit her all at once. Inhaling air to gather her strength, she pursued her approach out of the woods who covered her presence. A rise of cowardice controlled her, pushing her to use her powers to cloak herself. The restraining device on her hand would allow her to be invisible for 10 minutes. Being a light-mage turned useful to deflect the sunlight.

"Let's celebrate our return!" exclaimed Makarof. She could hear them from outside perfectly. Squeezing her grasp on her flower bouquet, she listened carefully to everything.

"Let's fight! I'm all fired up!" Natsu clapped his fist.

"I'm so happy, we're back guys!" Lucy and a few other comrades cried heavily. Kaya smiled, nothing changed that much in the end.

Mounting up to a window, still cloaked, she threw an eye on the scene. Everyone found their way home. The young woman blushed when she noticed the Raijinshû and a certain dragon slayer. Laxus stood the same as she recalled him. Only this time, she saw him as a young prime. Was he that bulky last time I saw him?

A rise of heat provoked her to fall from her position. Laxus who talked with his comrades froze in place. "What is it, Laxus?" wondered Freed, worried.

Laxus stood up, "Nothing, I need to go outside." From the outside of the building, she could hear someone approaching her stance. Panicking, she remained cloaked, holding on her breath.

The man came out of the guild, he inspected the area, furrowing his eyebrows. Someone was here. He could definitely sense the person just a moment ago. Luckily for Kaya, Laxus had an overdeveloped hearing, not a fine smell.

Giving up on his impression, he won back his seat in the guild. That must've been a snitch. A too cowardly one...

Kaya shuffled, that was close. Her heart aching, she remembered the flowers she bought. Taking a piece of paper from her bag, she wrote some words hesitantly before placing it in the bouquet.

Before returning to Crocus, the angelic mage posed the flowers on the guild doorstep. As quiet as possible, she wandered farther from the guild. Only a few minutes after her departure. Laxus came out with his trusted friends, spotting the flowers laying on the grounds.

"Who brought these?" wondered Freed with a confused expression. Evergreen carefully lifted the roses, humming the sweet perfume. She frowned, remarking the small note in them. She handed the paper to Freed.

"Do you reckon the handwriting?" Freed studied the elegant letters, and shook his head. Laxus imagined it to be the stranger he spotted minutes ago. But why would they leave flowers?

I'm happy that you're back.

Bickslow who glimpsed at Laxus' perplexed features grinned widely, the soul-mage smirked before the situation, because he knew who was the unknown presence who spied on the joyous group.

------------

Hey guys next chapters are here. I hope you like this chapter because I was so thrilled to elaborate that part of the story and I hope you'll be as excited to read it.