Ch34 Dancing with the Thunder God

------------

Laxus sighed with discomfort as Gramps dragged him to the ball. The lighting dragon slayer found no interest in that petty ceremony. Another excuse for the nobles to feast over an accomplishment that wasn't theirs. The dragon slayer thanked Freed and Bickslow for chasing away all the ladies interested in him. Laxus didn't speak about it, but he already had a lady in his mind.

He originally had planned to visit all bars to find her scent among the feast of the night. Maybe talk to her. That was a shame, he couldn't see her tonight. Or so, that's what he thought. Until a gorgeous princess appeared in the ballroom. An elegant purple gown complimented the lady. The dragon slayer smirked at Evergreen. Laxus checked his own outfit, unknowingly she and he wore the same purple color.

"So that was what you were scheming, huh." he commented. Ever winked at him with amusement.

"You're welcome, lightning!"

Kaya descended the stairs with a controlled pace. Laxus couldn't turn his gaze away from the mage. Only then, he realized the extent of those 7 past years. She was not the boyish teen he remembered, not covered in bruises and dirt after the fight, but a woman with grace and innocent features. Her worried water blue gaze searched through the crowd for familiar faces. A wave of surprise shook through the mass when the stranger was greeted by none other than the crown princess herself.

The woman followed the princess, but soon enough got out and found herself surrounded by those brats, stuck in a corner of the ballroom. Kaya seemed troubled upon hearing a succession of unwanted questions.

Laxus growled, the thunder tribe remarked the grumpiness of their leader growing. Ever grinned while Freed and Bickslow questioned Laxus, "Is everything alright?"

Bickslow grinned and invited Freed to follow him, heading straight towards the way Laxus was gazing with frowns.

Ever smirked behind her glasses, "You should thank them, go talk to her!" her hand bumped into his back strongly, Laxus almost shocked from the impact. 

"Ever!"

"Go!" she requested, winking at him.

Unsure of what to do, Laxus' feets brought him to the huge group surrounding the angelic-mage. The young witch shivered under all that pressure. The dragon slayer could discern her in-comfort, he witnessed the woman fiddling with a strand of her curls. Freed and Bickslow, especially Freed lectured Team Natsu for disturbing the lady.

The said lady turned away from the group, her head lowered to the ground, her hand gripping the layers of fabric of gown, not to make her trip on her way. Laxus followed her. Fortunately for her, and much to Laxus' heart warming even more to her, he was here to catch her up in her fall, being still a bit clumsy. The Lighting god smiled, spotting it was one aspect of her which she didn't lose.

Laxus grinned in front of her, her expression flinched when no collision hit her back. Her clueless eyes blinked multiple times, acknowledging someone's saved her from the embarrassment. Her gaze locked onto the lighting dragon slayer, her perplexed expression, and the flush of her cheeks made him smirk. "Laxus?"

"Hello Birdy?" he whispered into her ears, his hands gently accompanying her to stand up. Kaya blushed redder.

Kaya stumbled on her feet, her gaze not leaving the dragon slayer. For years in her dreams, she used to dream of that moment. The moment when they would return and she'd get to spend new adventures with them. One part of her wanted to poke the skin of her hand, just to check it was real.

"Ka..." Laxus almost called by her real name, but on instinct, the young woman covered his mouth with her hands. Getting redder, she chuckled from the drunkenness of the excitement.