Ch33 The Ball

------------

Kaya shuffled, and straightened the fabric of her dress in the carriage to the Mercurius. Never had she been that nervous for an event. But she would see her nakamas. She hasn't decided if she'd uncovered her identity tonight. Somehow she came to the point it was wisest to keep her walls up. Only for the night though.

She had to speak with Hisui again, and enjoy herself with the Raijinshû tonight. Stress rose so much that her fingers threatened to undo her light make-up, or tangle the curls Ever spent so much time to style with the half braid, allowing her face to be revealed behind light curls framing her round face.

Noting the garden of the palace replacing the streets of the capital, Kaya trembled, brushing past her worries. "Now is the time." she whispered to herself.

A rise of embarrassment and excitement filled her body. She stood up, jolting out of the carriage Hisui sent her.

She followed a servant guiding her in the magnificent building. Kaya was mesmerized by the elaborate setting of the castle. Seldom has she observed such wealthy buildings, fine art, and long corridors, nor could she enter one before...

Pausing in front of the huge door of the ball-room. Kaya stopped in front of a mirror, inspecting herself. She rearranged for the thousand times her long curls and the multiple layers of organza of her lilac dress. The mage amused herself to think she looked like a princess. The dress was a gift Hisui offered her. The princess ordered for Kaya to be there during the ceremony.

That's still too much.

Taking a deep breath, she bowed to the employees in charge of the doors. The huge door opened on an enormous room. Kaya would've stared at it for hours if she wasn't forced to step down the stairs. Her hands leveled up the front of her dress, she prayed internally for her high heels not to let her fall.

Kaya immediately sensed all the gazes on her. She felt as if she was stuck. All of sudden, her gentle hand helped down the stairs. "I'm happy you could come!" whispered the infamous crown princess of Fiore.

"Hisui!" whined Kaya, reassured. "Thank you."

The princess smiled at her friend, Kaya felt surprised to see her friend dressed in such a way since she always spent time with her in casual clothes. She even forgot her friend's fate to govern the whole country.

Hisui smiled cheerily at Kaya. "You are beautiful, Ka... well Anya, right?"

They agreed on keeping Kaya's identity a secret for the time being. The heiress knew that the dragon slayers present could hear their conversation. They would be even more likely to eavesdrop since everyone wondered who was the princess' mysterious comrade.

Hisui brushed the questioning stares away, "Well, I can tell you are the beauty of the party!" she smirked.

"Shut up!" answered Kaya, grinning behind her hand. Secretly, her friend's presence helped her ease.

Hisui bowed to everyone in the ballroom, accompanied by Kaya behind her. Knowing her worries for her fairy tail friends, the princess smoothly dismissed Kaya when it was their turn to present her gratitude.

"You can take some refreshments, just in case, if you want to flee there is a backdoor next to the balcony." Hisui whispered to the angelic mage, winking at her. "Just don't leave too early." Kaya nodded, she doubted she'd come to such an extent, but that was still useful information to know.

Pacing backwards to the side of the ballroom, she couldn't shake off the feeling of weird gazes on her. Her finger caught a glass of wine before she advanced to a corner of the room. Kaya hoped that people would stop their gaze on her, but that was a terrible attempt.