Ch40 - Holding a Grudge

------------

"So that's how Kaya finished the mission!" concluded Bickslow to the mages questioning why they came back so soon. Kaya practically begged the jester to stop talking, but he couldn't stop himself. The redness of her face was quite a sight to catch.

"Please, Bickslow, just shut up." she sighed, not daring to look up to anyone.

A slap on her back made her flinch in surprise. "Come' on, lightbulb! It's not as bad as it sounds! It's even cool." cheered Gajeel with a foul smile. Kaya feared what was going on in his head, and he approached his lips to her ears. "Actually I wanted to know if you could do something for me and Levy..."

A flash of understanding spread on her face. She flushed even more, pushing him away, "No, absolutely no!" she screamed with fluster.

"So you can really make potions and poisons?" wondered Natsu, aloud. Kaya nodded, rubbing the back of her hand. Gosh, why can't they leave her alone?

"How come you to learn that?" asked Erza with a slight frown, "it's a bit dangerous, you could've had serious problems at that..." she reproached.

Kaya grinned lightly, "Well I always liked herbology, and sometimes poisons can help you fabric cures." she explained.

"So you did poisons too?!" grumbled Laxus, trudging towards. Kaya laughed anxiously, "Well... Never to harm someone. Just to protect myself or sell some. Now that I say it aloud, it sounds awful..." she conceded, flushing.

Laxus seemed bothered by that revelation, and just leaned close to her ears. Laxus wanted to talk to her, there's some stuff that they needed to deal with eventually. "Can we talk outside?"

Kaya displayed interest and grinned innocently at Laxus. Well... as innocently as someone who fabricated poisons could. Laxus still wondered how she could have such a peculiar interest. The white haired woman followed his step diligently. The whole guild observed the duo with care.

"What are they doing?" wondered Natsu aloud, his curious nature made him try to trace their pace. But a powerful knock on his head knocked him off on the ground. When he lifted up his stare, he remarked the red hair of Titania towering over him.

"Let them be Natsu. They need some privacy." warned Erza with authority.

"Some privacy like you and Jellal had before the GMG?" darted Happy with a mocking tone. The cat was rewarded with a knock on his head, his face smashed against the wooden floor of the building.

Titania hid her face, and everyone turned back to their doings while the two mages. Kaya scanned the expression of the dragon slayer. Laxus was pretty emotionless all the time, but to her, some habits he had, consisted in slight frowning or tight smiles. She wondered if with time, the Raijinshû could read him like an open book.

"What did you want to talk about?" she asked, her eyes directed to his chin, the difference in height looked pretty funny to any outsiders witnessing their discussion. Kaya struggled to see his face, from her position she easily caught sight of his bulky neck.

"You know it has only been one week since your return..." he began, avoiding her eyes. His throat slightly itched out of the blue.

"Yes?"

Laxus glanced at her, she held such a cheerful mood, he felt guilty to break it to her. However, Makarof didn't give him a chance, he was in the best place to break the news to her. "You know Macao feels terrible about your exile." he started.

Kaya felt stunned by those unexpected words. "What do you mean?" her voice erupted, her expression fell off. Laxus really found her similarities with a grumpy cat in her attitude right now. Why was he thinking of that right now? He hesitated before the tough look she gave him.