Chapter Fifty

A/N: *coughs* this is the last chapter (there will be an epilogue to follow)

50.

{Dylan's P.O.V}

It felt like the world had imploded.

I stared at Genesis, our grips opposite as her phone dropped from her hand and I clutched my room key so hard it nearly cut into my palm.

"No."

That was the first word out of her mouth as her cell clattered to the floor. That was the best she could do.

"Dylan," she pleaded.

"You've been lying to me?" It got harder to breathe as the room door shut behind me. I felt choked, trapped with the girl I was in love with that had been lying to my face.

"Yes, but-"

"Who were you on the phone with?" I asked over her explanation, not wanting her to ramble on an apology that she maybe didn't mean.

"It was-" Gen hesitated, her eyes already watery from before I came in. "It was Daniel."

My eyebrows lifted, "Daniel from the show?"

She lightly nodded, a tear slipping down her cheek.

My own eyes started to glaze over as I watched her. "What did you mean by knowing him, and, and what happened between you to? Did you cheat on me, Genesis?"

She looked terrified at my use of her full name. "No, Jesus Christ no, I would never, Dylan. I swear I would never cheat on you."

"Then what the hell was going on between you two? You acted like you've never met him before when you first came to America."

"I know, I know," her voice was thick with pain of speaking, it choking her. "I've known him since I was a kid. He was my brother's best friend and I didn't tell you because we ended on bad terms. It was years ago, I swear."

"What made it so bad that you felt you needed to lie to me for months about it?" I asked with sharp words. "Months, Gen. All of that time and you failed to mention you knew Daniel for years? What made it worth it that you two both pretended not to be aware of the fact something had happened between you?"

And in one sweep, the syllables left her red lips. "It's our fault Tanner's dead."

"What?"

"That's the reason, Dylan. My brother is dead because of Dan and I, and that's why I lied."

I kept my eyes directly on her, watching her stiffness as she cried. Somehow she still looked beautiful, and for a moment I hated it.

"I'll tell you everything, just please don't hate me. I've wanted to tell you for so long, but I couldn't bring myself to do it," Gen said. "I've already had enough trouble keeping Elizabeth at bay."

I ran a hand along my jaw, blinking away tears I felt I didn't have control over. "She has something to do with this?"

"She's been blackmailing me the whole time," she admitted through a tight throat.

It suddenly made sense.

"Your book?" I asked before restating myself. "Your book. It's about what happened, isn't it?"

"It was the only way I could keep myself from going insane. I had to write it out. It's how I function, Dylan, but I never meant for her to get a hold of it. She stole it from my stuff at the dorm and she pretended to be an agent and pushed it to publish without my permission."