Prologue

Prologue 

{Genesis' P.O.V.}

"Hey Mum," I balanced my mobile between my ear and my shoulder, my fingers constantly clicking across my laptop's keypad, a heavy paragraph forming on the document. "Can you-"  

"Uh, sorry, I think you've got the wrong number." A bloke's voice rang through my ears, his accent American.  

"Oh, my gosh," My fingers left the keys and I held my mobile to my ear, "I'm really sorry."  

"It's all good," The lad at the other end hesitated, "Sorry if you mind me asking, but where are you from?"  

"Uh, well I live in Bury St. Edmunds. It's in England." I furrowed my eyebrows, growing curious of who I was talking to. For as far as I could make out, he sounded about my age of early 20's.  

"Ohh. Your accent," It sounded as if he was smiling, "It's gor- it's nice." Awkwardly, he recovered himself in his sentence.  

I had no idea who this person is and they were making my cheeks flush blood red. "Uh, cheers." I ran my fingers through my blonde waves. "Where are you from?" Was I really talking to a complete stranger about where we live?  

"How should I know you're not a pedophile?" The lad questioned, a small laugh in his voice.  

"Do I sound like a pedophile?" In an odd way, I felt comfortable talking to whoever held the other end.  

He laughed, "I like the way you say that." He stopped and collected himself, "I suppose you don't seem like you'll kidnap me. I live in Beverly Hills. It's in America."  

"How is California?" My coming year of University wandered to the option of a year long exchange programme at UCLA.  

"Depends on where you go. I personally love it myself. I've lived here since I was 12 and it's always been pretty good." The lad must've been clicking a pen, the light jabbering of metal in the background. But quickly it stopped. "Holy shit, Tyler!" He shouted. "Sorry, uh, hey, can I call you tomorrow?"  

My mouth fell agape at the abruptness of the stranger. "Er, sure." The corners of my lips found themselves tugging upwards.  

"Awesome." His smile could be felt through the phone, "I've gotta go, but i'll call you tomorrow. I promise."  

"Alright, sounds brilliant." I knew I was smiling more than I should've been.  

"Bye," He sounded rushed, but a tone of a smile in his voice stuck.  

"Bye."  

The second I set my mobile on my coral duvet I noticed that I hadn't caught his name. Although, a part of me didn't want to know. A mystery. Maybe even one worth solving.

~~

A/N: Hey there! This is my first Dylan O'Brien to be published and so far in my writings i'm really enjoying it!  Xx -Melissa