Chapter XXXIV

(Soojins POV)

It had been a week since the incident had happened. Ari was out of the hospital and making a recovery. Me.Lee's funeral was being held today.

I wanted to look nice. Although, in the past, we had our differences, he really had changed for the better.

I may never completely forgive him for what he did, but slowly and overtime, I think I could begin to let it go to put my heart at ease.

As I got dressed in the nicest black dress I owned. Minho was struggling to get dressed himself. His hands were shaking, he hadn't eaten all morning.

"Let me do that for you." I said softly as I tied his tie for him. "There we go." I smiled.

"I don't think I can do this." He said as his voice choked up.

"I will be with you the whole time just like you were with me." I kissed his head. "Let's go, I'll drive."

As we got in the car, I let him sit in the passenger seat. He was too shaken up to drive. He never said a word the entire ride there.

When we arrived, Ari hugged me at the door. "Thank you guys."

"Of course." I hugged her back. Minho walked away from us.

"How's Minho doing?"

"He's not doing well. He's pretty upset about it." She rubbed my shoulder, leading me into the room.

As we all sat down, Minho held on tightly to a piece of paper. He had been up all night writing a note for Mr.Lee.

"Thank you all for coming. I know it may have been hard to look passed his past." Ari spoke. "Although he was absent for most of my life, he pulled through at the last second." Her hands shook. "Today, I will not be the one speaking for him. Minho." He looked up. "I want you to speak for him."

"I can't." He mouthed to her.

"Just read the note." I grabbed his hand.

"Soojin, I can't." He cried.

"Yes, you can." I smiled. "Act like we're not here." He took a deep breath and walked to the podium.

(Minhos POV)

"I have prepared a note. I was going to read it to him in private, but I feel as if all of you should hear it." I unfolded the paper.

"When I was a kid, you took me in. Not as your son, but as your employee. I was only 16 when I asked you for a job. I was struggling with money, my parents were absent from my life, and I was on the verge of being homeless.
There were moments where I hated working for you and there were moments that I loved being taken care of by you. I didn't like my job, but I liked you. I didn't like what I had to do, but I liked having you.
There were days where I slipped up and called you dad on accident and instead of scolding me, you said nothing. There were other times you would laugh and tell me to get to work. All of those moments forever imbedded in my memory.
You were always on my side. You never said it, but I knew you enjoyed raising me. It gave you a sense of purpose. It made you feel like you were worthy.
Because you raised me, it made you realize how much you had missed out on raising Ari. I will not take the credit, but you went back to her during your final moments.
You died protecting me, Ari, and Soojin. I wish the roles were reversed. We will forever be grateful to have you and I, personally, thank you for raising me and being the dad I never had."

I stood there, the tears rolling down my face as I sulked into my sleeve. I left the podium and sat next to Soojin who pulled me towards her.

"Good job." She caressed my head. "You did so well." I continued to cry.

After the service, I helped with the burial. Me and 5 others carried the casket, slowly putting it into the ground.

As I stood next to Ari and Soojin, I felt as if a new chapter in our lives had just begun.