A Not So Merry Christmas

"Happy Christmas!" I greeted cheerily to my grandmother, getting the same greeting in return before moving on.

"Merry Christmas!" I next greeted my cousins, grinning widely and moving on to the next guests.

"Happy Christmas Eve." I spoke to my other set of grandparents, my grandfather pulling me in for a warm hug already smelling strongly of pipe smoke and whiskey.

I continued through the throngs of relatives, greeting the ones not deep in conversation with others and contemplating the more distant ones I did not immediately recognize. The house was warm and welcoming, a fire roaring in every room people occupied, the stoves running full blast to finish the Christmas Eve meal as quickly as possible. Warm, white lights decorated the house along with wreaths, ornaments, family heirlooms, and a modest but intricately decorated tree with presents already littering the base.

I returned to the kitchen to find my mother badgering the elves about the endless amount of food scattered about the counters, more still coming out of the many ovens. My godmother sat at the table trying in vain to get her best friend to sit down and breathe, telling her that everything was perfect and everyone was having fun, my mother having none of it.

I stifled a laugh as I sat down across from Andy, earning an eye roll and a look that said 'I tried.' I stifled another giggle, knowing it would push my mother over the edge should she hear, and turned to my childhood best friend beside me, Andromeda's daughter Nymphadora.

"Happy Christmas Dora." I smiled at the other girl shoving a miniature cupcake into her mouth much like a chipmunk.

"Iz nut Crismus yet." She bumbled around a mouthful of cupcake. I rolled my eyes and "accidentally" bumped her, nearly knocking her out of her chair and earning us both disapproving looks from Andy just as the other girl spun around to retaliate.

"You two still act like children to this day." Andromeda muttered, albeit amusedly, shaking her head at us.

"Well yeah. What's the fun in growing up?" Dora grinned at her mother, teeth full of sprinkles and coated in a sheen of yellow frosting.

"Kudos to that." My own mother breathed out stressfully, taking another plate over to the counter and shuffling things around to try and find a spot for it.

Christmas Eve dinner was a big affair in my family, the host varying each year and allowing us to travel and see different parts of the country and each of my family member's traditions along with relatives I may not see anytime else. This year it was my family's turn and we were just about ready for the main meal to begin, everyone already profoundly wine drunk and merry from mingling. Andromeda and Dora left the kitchen to find Ted, Andy muttering about finding her husband before he got too drunk on champagne trying to keep up with the other men, and leaving me alone with my mother and the poor overworked elves trying in vain to please her.

"What time are you meant to be at Malfoy Manor again?" She asked me, wiping flour coated hands on her apron.

"Like 10ish? Draco is supposed to text me when he's done with his own family stuff and they're ready to do our little Christmas thing." Since I wouldn't be able to visit my school best friend any other time over Winter break we had decided to do our little get together on Christmas Eve after we were both done with other commitments. They were lucky, only having to make a short appearance at both the Black's and Malfoy's respective parties while I just had to get through the meal at mine and would be free to escape.

"Perfect. It's what? Nearly 8 now? Is it really that late? Wow. We should be starting soon and you can just sneak off to the floo whenever you need to." I nodded at my mother's words, knowing that was already the plan.