"Intruder" (NM X Reader Hurt/Comfort)

I popped skittles in my mouth by the handful, chewing mindlessly as I rewatched a show on Netflix for probably the hundredth time. Other than the voices on the tv the house was silent, my parents away on a short business trip for the day.

It was nearly 2am here and the house dark, the soft light from the tv filling this one room I occupied. I tossed back another handful of the sweet candy, tasting the rainbow as my eyes unfocused and I grew more tired with each passing minuet.

I didn't mind being home alone but it could be a little bit eerie at night, especially in this big old manor house. However, my mother being the paranoid person that she was, informed one of her friends that they would be gone tonight and asked her to keep up with me.

While the Malfoy's lived in an entirely different country they were only a floo call away, plus it was already nearly 8am over there and Mrs. Malfoy had already begun texting me. We had talked off and on for several hours just after my parents left at 9 this morning, the older witch badgering me about calling her or going over there should I need anything before getting a few hours of sleep. Now, she was texting me again, mothering me and badgering me about going to sleep. However, I had no plans of going to bed until the sun came up and so had resigned myself to listening to the complaints from the other woman about my questionable sleep schedule.

I nestled myself deeper into my cocoon of blankets as I poured the remnants of my candy snack into my mouth, awkwardly peering around the bag to avoid missing a second of my show as I did so. Crumpling the paper and dropping it on the table beside me I released a sigh, settling into the comfortable sofa as I begin to zone out again.

Suddenly there was a rustling somewhere behind me, nothing loud but enough to catch my attention. It sounded like something, or someone, bumped into a wall. I looked back over my shoulder, squinting as I peered into the darkness only half interestedly.

Chalking it up to it being late and me being paranoid I turned back around, returning to my program but keeping an ear out for any more noises. I swear I could still hear slight rustling somewhere around the kitchen, practically inaudible if you weren't specifically listening for it.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I listened, an uncomfortable feeling washing over me as I sat there. I peered over my shoulder again, suddenly not liking the fact that my back was to the door, and allowed my eyes to thoroughly search the darkness for any sign of movement.

Standing up as quietly as possible I tip toed towards the doorway, leaving the tv how it was so as not to arouse suspicion should there be an intruder listening. I crept quietly through the dark house as I followed the sounds of paper rustling, the eerie noise growing louder as I approached the kitchen door.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I grew nearer, anxiety bubbling up inside me and telling me to flee. I could feel the tenseness in my body, my legs ready to carry me out of there as fast as they possibly could should I give them the opportunity.

My palm silently rested on the cool wood of the kitchen door, inching it open as I looked through the crack to see what I would find. I was able to step fully into the kitchen, the door quietly closing behind me as I looked around for any sign of someone else being in the house with me.

I didn't want to turn on the light and alert them of my presence or whereabouts should they not know about me yet, and so I continued creeping forwards through the darkness. I heard the sound again, my head whipping towards it as I fought the flinch that threatened to wrack through my body.

Whatever it was it was behind the counter. I crept deadly silent around it, ready for something to pounce on me. There I spotted a balled up piece of scrap paper on the floor and I furrowed my brow in confusion as I looked down at it.