The School for Good and Evil

A/N: Little bit of movie plot, little bit of book plot, little bit of my own plot lmao.

Tonight was the night.

Tonight was the night the entire town of Gavaldon feared more than anything else in the world.

Tonight, two of its people would be taken, never to be seen again outside of a children's fairytale.

Who would the school master choose this year?

Two.

There were always two.

Never more, never less.

Two would be chosen tonight.

Two would be ripped from their beds tonight, never to see or hear from their friends and family ever again.

• • •

"Always nice to see you Mrs. Divany." I bid the older woman goodbye with a sugar coated smile, immediately releasing the irritated huff I had been holding in since she had set foot in the book shop, the door swinging shut on her bulbous backside. The old widow meant well but she tended to stick her nose where it didn't belong and with the extra stress following everyone today due to the curse, I just did not have the patience to answer her incessant questions about when I would find a husband or who I believed the book would be written about this year.

"Is she gone?" I heard in a hopeful voice just behind me, my co-worker Noelle peeking out from the back to ensure she had missed Mrs. Divany's weekly trip to the shop.

"You just missed her. I'm sure I could call her back if you like. She can't have gone far." I teased, taking a step towards the door as if I would even consider inviting that woman to spend another second of her day pestering us with personal questions.

"Nixie I swear to God I will find a witch to put a curse on you if you do that." I laughed at her wide eyed expression, continuing to tease the other girl and pretend I was going to call Mrs. Divany until we both erupted in fits of laughter, Noelle threatening to chuck books at me while I mock pleaded for forgiveness.

Noelle was one of my very few real friends these days. Sure, I was friendly enough with the majority of Gavaldon and everyone knew me and I them, however, I had just grown apart from the majority of my good childhood friends over the years.

I was 23 and husbandless, living alone in a cottage at the edge of town and working in the old, rarely frequented bookshop no less. Everyone I had been close to had already married, had kids, and started there lives long ago. We were practically middle aged by now after all.

Noelle too had a husband, however, she could not bare children and therefore needed a daytime hobby that wasn't child rearing. So, the pair of us had become fast friends working together after having never spoken so much as 3 words to each other in school, finding a strange comfort in being outcasts together.

"So, who you think it's gonna be this year?" The other girl asked me with the expression of a teenager asking their best friend about what boy they're dating this week.

"My bets are on Ollie and Olivia. They just fit the picture you know?"

"I could totally see that. I was thinking Mary and Opal. Everyone says that Mary is a witch and I've never seen Opal wear anything cheaper than cashmere."