"Lost"

Muggle Au, mild gore

"Run!" Lucius shouted as we all made a mad dash for the safety of the trees.

Gunshots rang out all around us and I felt a sharp sting as one whizzed right past my ear, feet continuing to pound forwards as fast as I could go. I only had eyes for the tree line as the adrenaline coursed through my veins, urging me past my limits as safety drew closer.

The rest of my little group did the same as I, pressing forwards as bullets rained down around us, dirt flying in every direction as they made contact with the Earth rather than soft flesh. I could just see Draco on my right, fear evident on his face. The two adults were on my left, looking just as unsure about their own mortality as us teens.

My lungs and legs burned but I didn't stop even after entering the dense forest, knowing those people would be hot on our tail. Our little band moved closer together as we tried to avoid unintentionally splitting up, myself leading the pack while the Malfoy patriarch brought up the rear in a vain attempt to protect the rest of us from anymore gunfire.

We made it another half mile into the trees before realizing all was silent around us, the group having abandoned their attempt to assassinate us just as quickly as they had begun. As my stride slowed and the adrenaline keeping me going dissipated I could now feel just how shaky my legs were, my lungs heaving as they struggled to pull enough air into my exhausted body.

"I think.. we.. lost them.." Lucius panted, all 4 of us doubled over panting.

"Finally." Draco breathed out, pushing sweaty blonde hair from his forehead.

"Is everyone alright?" Narcissa questioned, concern in her dark brown eyes as she looked at each of us individually.

I watched as the other 3 did a quick mental check if anything was hurting, indicating they had been hit and hadn't noticed in the panic. I followed suit, now noticing the pulsating ache in my right thigh that had gone overlooked in my haste to escape. Looking down I found a rip in my black jeans, pulling back the fabric to reveal blood pouring down the leg from a bullet sized hole.

I swallowed the saliva building in my throat as I peered down at the wound, realizing there was no exit wound and that the bullet was still lodged deep in the muscle. If I didn't get it out I would surely die, however, how on Earth was I expected to do that out here with no tools, medicine, or doctors?

"Y/n? Are you injured?" I jumped at the voice, swiftly covering the bleeding wound and allowing the dark material of my jeans to hide the blood seeping through before reflexively nodding 'yes' to her question.

"Good. We should keep moving them. We don't know if or when they'll catch up to us or where we even are." Lucius agreed with his wife, taking the lead as we all fell into a single file like behind him, myself now taking up the rear.

I was now all too aware of the ache in my leg with every step I took, the life giving blood gushing from the wound as I continued to push the muscles surrounding it. However, the pain wasn't overwhelming and I was able to keep up easily enough, deciding to keep my little predicament to myself for the time being.

Our little party continued deeper into the unfamiliar forest, dead leaves crunching under our feet as we stumbled over fallen branches and uneven ground. The bleeding in my leg slowed but didn't cease, both the foreign body and my inability to rest keeping my body from healing itself. My jeans now stuck to the leg as well and I was dreading having to peel them off the tender wound, warm, sticky blood coating the material and anything I happened to brush against.