"Runa Corvina Snape" Part 6

The days were long and the nights were even longer as Draco, Pansy, and I worked to appease the Dark Lord. There wasn't a day that went by that we didn't do something to keep pressing forwards and finish what we had unwillingly begun.

My father had kept his promise and aided us in any way necessary, offering advice whenever we grew stuck on what to try next with the vanishing cabinet and transporting those that did not meet their untimely demise somewhere between realms within the cabinet's magical portal.

My friends had grown colder over the last couple of months, succumbing to their fate and ultimately becoming exactly what they had always feared, their parents. Everyday I saw a little bit more of Lucius's cold brutality in Draco, whether it be by his actions or simply a sneer thrown towards a clumsy first year who got in his way.

I didn't know Pansy's parents but I did know the type of people Voldemort allowed into his circle and Pansy was becoming a photocopy of everyone I saw sat at that table. The vibrant, outspoken girl had vanished and left behind a disheveled, hollow shell of the Pansy Parkinson I had met at the Malfoy's ball so many months ago.

We were quickly coming to the finish line, the school semester ending in less than a month, and we were now in a race against time. If we failed, I had no doubt we would all three be killed mercilessly. If we succeeded, we may keep our lives but a part of each of us would still die that day, knowing what we had done purely for survival.

🤍🖤🤍

"It has to work. It just has to." Draco mumbled to himself, sighing in discontent as we waited on Pansy to return to the room of requirement where we sat.

It was yet again time to test the damned thing, sending in another innocent soul to be sacrificed in a world between worlds. No matter how many times we did this it never got any easier, especially when the latest victim was someone I knew.

The headmaster had quickly grown aware of the fact students and the occasional staff were going missing, however, after a long conversation with my father which the three of us were not allowed to attend, the man asked no more questions. While I had no idea what my father had said to him, the old coot's lack of empathy and the fact that he was even making up excuses for their families left a bad taste in my mouth and I had unfortunately begun to come to terms with killing the man.

The thought of actually ending someone's life still greatly unnerved me but at least it seemed like it would be someone who ultimately deserved it. I no longer had any respect for the so called great Albus Dumbledore, not if he was ok with sending children to be mercilessly slaughtered for his own poorly executed plans.

The old man had still been unable to collect the last horcrux, Nagini still tucked safely at the Dark Lord's side, and it was quite pathetic actually. The headmaster had managed to obtain six out of the seven deadly objects but was unable to acquire an animal three school children came into contact with at least once a week for meetings.

He wouldn't allow any of us, including my father, to bring the snake back to the school for him as it could potentially uncover our plans and true alliance. Nevertheless, every time I watched that deadly serpent slither down the grand table to inhale its latest muggle loving victim I couldn't help but imagine driving a knife straight through the creature's peanut sized brain with my own blood stained hands.

"It'll work eventually Draco. We'll keep trying until it does." I encouraged the blonde boy, running one hand up and down his back as he rubbed his own hands over his face in exasperation.

"And what if it doesn't? What if I fail?"

"You won't. We won't. We will all complete these stupid tasks."