Narcissa Malfoy X Reader (The Funeral)

⚠️Warning for graphic depictions of death⚠️

*beep... beep... beep*

The steady, rhythmic lull of the heart monitor by his bedside was the only sound in the freezing cold hospital room aside from his labored breaths. The rattling deep within his chest indicated that it would be soon. Far too soon.

My mother slept in the chair to the right of his hospital bed, my father on the small, sofa like seat in front of the 3d story window. I occupied the chair to the left nearest to the door, watching over my brother as he "slept".

He hadn't truly been conscious in days, slipping deeper and deeper into the fatal comatose state with each passing hour. He was so young.. too young to be on his death bed.

My little brother Joshua had been in a motorcycle accident while riding with one of his best mates. A car didn't see them as they were merging and swerved into the bike while going 80mph down the interstate. My brother, the kind soul that he was, pushed his friend to the side of the road as they slid their bare backs across the asphalt while cars slammed on their brakes around him.

Joshua had been hit by one of the cars attempting to stop, sliding ever further down the road and knocking him unconscious as the blood pooled rapidly beneath his dying body.

The ambulance arrived soon enough to save him, and he had been responsive and seemingly recovering nicely up until about a week ago. It was like a switch flipped, one day he was laughing and joking and the next.. he was drowning in his own fluids.

After that things progressed rapidly. Each passing day he grew worse and it was now only a matter of time until.. I couldn't even say the words.

✨✨✨

"Thank you for this Narcissa. We owe you." My mother, father, and I all stood in the living area of Malfoy Manor having just exited the floo into their home.

"It's no trouble at all Melody. Really. I am so very sorry to hear about Joshua and will be happy to help in any way I can." The Malfoy matriarch took my mother in a tearful hug, rubbing her back as I moved to stand beside the other witch.

"I'm so so sorry we can't take you with us y/n. If there was any other way.." she looked truly sorrowful and I had to admit, I was as well. I wasn't allowed to attend my little brother's funeral. How messed up was that?

"I know mom. It's not your fault. I'll be fine." I gave her a small smile, forcing my emotions down so that I wouldn't feel the tears surely building in my throat. I wasn't fine.. I needed my mom right now but I knew I was being selfish. They had lost a child and needed to be there for the other family members. He was only my brother after all..

This had all happened so fast and I had been taken out of school to be with my family when it happened, Hogwarts still very much in session. That being said, Draco was still at school and the Malfoy patriarch was apparently away on business this week, therefore I was here alone with Narcissa.

I knew that could potentially be a blessing or a curse. On one hand I may be more comfortable going to her if I needed without the fear of judgement from the Malfoy men. On the other hand she would most likely hover around me more to make sure I was alright, whether I wanted to be or not. I wouldn't be able to hide very well here.

The older witch side stepped towards me, resting her hand on my back and softly stroking up and down as I tensed, refusing to accept the comfort. If I allowed myself to feel the physical touch I would undoubtedly start crying which I absolutely could not do right now.