NM X Female Reader "My Princess"

Despite the title of this story, it's not smut. Sorry y'all 😂

I couldn't help but hum a little tune as I plucked the blueberries from the large bush just outside the kitchen window. My life was perfectly simple and I had no reason to complain so why shouldn't I be happy?

The chickens clucked softly as they pecked at the ground beneath my feet, digging up bugs and weeds out of the small garden at the side of the cottage. Our horse nuzzled me as I stepped closer to the fence separating him from the vegetables, hoping I had something for him in my pockets.

I chuckled as I offered the animal what he was after, a small carrot from the patch. He nickered happily as he crunched the treat down before returning to his hay. Later I would take a basket of strawberries down to the neighbors farm and exchange them for a jug of milk as I did every Saturday.

For now, I grabbed my full basket of blueberries and skipped merrily back into the cottage, rolling up my sleeves and returning to the blueberry pie I had been working on earlier that morning. I dropped the fruit in the pan with the crust, smushing some of them to make the consistency more jam like, and popped it in the oven to cook.

I could hear my father tinkering away on some of his tools in the background, fixing a few loose screws and handles and such. After my mother had passed we had grown closer, dividing up the household work as I got older and more capable. I knew it was easier on him to have someone else around to help with chores and had failed to realize how much I neglected my personal life.

There were a few men in the village interested in me but I had never so much as given them the time of day. They always chased me for a few weeks before growing bored of the challenge and giving up, leaving me still unmarried at the ripe old age of 19.

Only one had stuck around, determined that I was to be his and often pestering me for hours on end to try and get me to take real notice of him. Jeremiah was attractive, I certainly could not deny that. However, I just simply could not see myself settling down with him somewhere out in the country, farming a small chunk of land, and becoming his little house wife like he wanted.

Father had tried in vain to get me to give him a chance, wanting me to find love and start my life already. Nevertheless I continued to play by my own rules, refusing to marry simply because I was expected to.

A 'ding' pulled me from my thoughts and I grabbed a towel to protect my skin from the heat as I pulled the pie from the oven, resting it on the windowsill to cool while I made the trip down the road to fetch our milk for the week. I bid goodbye to my father and grabbed my basket of strawberries, setting out on the short journey to the farm at the end of the road.

I smiled at a few children running through the cobblestone streets playing, chuckling as they accidentally turned a lady's bucket of wet laundry over and causing her to shake her fist angrily. It was a warm, sunny day with a slight breeze in the air making it a pleasant walk, the scent of fresh bread and approaching Fall in the air.

A few people nodded to me and I returned the gesture, observing them go about their simple daily lives. As I rounded the top of the hill my gaze wandered up towards the palace on the outskirts of town, atop the mountain overlooking our small village.

We never saw much of the royal family unless something significant was happening and so I was quite surprised to see an army of royal guards riding down the hill towards the town. I couldn't imagine what business they could have down here on a random Saturday afternoon.