Chapter 5

The doctor soon came back, he asked the others to leave the room and he discussed with him the details of his prescription. When the doctor left, Way was standing, waiting to leave the hospital. Alan entered first with the intention to lead him to his car, but then Pete intervened more resolutely, he stood next to Way with a hand on his waist to support him and then he turned to Alan:

"You've already done a lot, I will take him home, you can go back to the garage and tell the others not to worry, they must be still shocked after what happened" despite being aware of Pete's kind nature, Way was still a little surprised by his efforts to take care of him. He considered the events of that drunk night as an isolated episode, not the starting point of anything else.

"I think Pete is right, we should go back, Alan" Jeff intervened as he noticed that his boyfriend was hesitant. Jeff's vision of the racer's future didn't involve Pete, not directly at least, and it was also at night, so they still had plenty of time even if it was going to happen that same day, that's why Jeff was so eager to let Pete take the lead.

"Be careful now... very good" Pete murmured as Way was getting into the vehicle, fearing that he could faint again or hit somewhere with his head. He then got to the driver's seat and started the engine. As the car started moving, Way sighed and turned to him.

"Why are you doing this?"

"I care about you, is it that weird?" Pete responded calmly without taking his eyes off the road. Despite that, he could clearly sense that Way didn't buy it, and that the silence that came after that was just a pause to prepare for different approaches. Way wanted answers and he wasn't going to let them slip away through his fingers.

"Your friends know about it..."

"What are you talking about?" Way asked confused.

"Your pills. I can't tell if the whole team already knows about it, but Jeff and Alan know that for sure, the doctor informed them while you were still asleep. Considering the recent event, I suggest you open up to all of them, a precise response may calm down their curiosity" Pete explained without losing his calm tone. Way gulped at the thought of them knowing, all of a sudden he felt exposed and vulnerable.

"Maybe you're right, I didn't want them to worry about me, but I guess I should tell them the truth. It has been a stressful period, especially after Babe's incident, that's why I had to take those pills..." Way replied, his answer built on logical foundation in order to convince Pete. Did it work though? Did Pete see anything else in his house?

"I know, that accident must have been terrible for you, you all do your best to take care of Babe" Pete wanted to mention when Way repeated Babe's name while he was drunk, but he feared that there was no way to say that without making his love interest feel judged. He didn't want Way to stop talking to him, he already risked that when he mentioned the pills and Pete wasn't going to make that mistake twice.

"We've known each other for so long. That's the same with Alan, it would be ungrateful to act differently after all, that's what you're supposed to do for the people you care about" Way continued, making sure to use a tone that made him look more like a loyal friend, just as the words he pronounce intended, rather than a lover who had to give up for the sake's of other people's happiness.

"Or the people you love..." Pete thought as he looked at Way for a moment, just while Way was watching the landscape.